77pe

Aug 4, 2010
Hey guys,
My 77 pe250 started having tranny problems, and I've decided to just get another bike because this bike has been to much trouble, iv narrowed it down to two bikes,both are rm125s one is an 86 that's ready to ride and the guy wants 400 for it the second is a 98 that is all good except for the motor, which has all the parts it just needs to be assembled, I'm having a problem deciding,any thoughts?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
The suspension of the 1998 will be so much better than the 80's version that you will think you just bought a plush cadillac with an attitude.

Go with the '98, and put it back together.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would be very leery of a bike in pieces. This is what "basket case" used to mean, an object that someone took apart and then either couldn't or decided not to put back together.

My experience is that when something is taken apart and left apart for any significant period of time that parts will get lost. Most of them may be there, but if you end up missing some stupid little part that may be impossible to find then getting that bike running again could be an issue.

Another issue is that without the engine being able to run you really can't judge the integrity of the transmission. There could be other issues that you won't discover until you have the engine running again.

It could be an interesting project, but you had better be prepared to invest a bit more into it before it is done.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Get it a lot closer to $400 and the '98 would be a possible deal. At $600 it's a big question mark with potential to be a big headache.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with Rod...never buy a bike in pieces. I would bet anything that all of the parts arent there. My advise would be to save your money and buy a bike later. I have owned a $400 bike...sold it for $650 and had $1100 invested.

Top Bottom