smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
Im getting ready to start rebuilding my 99 cr250 bottom end. The stamped metal on the right crank half came apart. I'm trying to decide what brand to go with. Right now its between the wiseco or hotrods crank assembly. I have heard rumors that the wiseco cranks have the problem of the stamped steel coming apart (it was on a karting forum though). I was leaning towards the wiseco kit since its about the same price as the hotrods but it comes with everything you need to rebuild the bottom end, ie crank, bearings, gaskets, seals, etc. Here is the link to the wiseco kit Wiseco-crank-assembly

Has anyone used one of these? It looks like a killer deal and I have never had any issues with wiseco products. Thanks

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I clicked on the link. I would give them a call before I got too excited. It's hard to believe you can get a complete bottom end kit for $216. (crank only maybe) Wiseco is good stuff, quality is good as any. Karting is a different application than dirtbike. Problems they encounter are different for different reasons.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am picking the same crank. Not too long ago they were the same company. I believe both come from the same country, some place in the orient? As good as it gets. And they usually come with good bearings, seals and gaskets. I seen a complete wiseco engine kit for a little over 300 with shipping. I am po'ed I missed the rg3 20mm clamps! 250 bucks, thats half price! Hope we do not bid against each other, and always check their prices against a dealer and shipping. Vintage Bob

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
mideastrider said:
I clicked on the link. I would give them a call before I got too excited. It's hard to believe you can get a complete bottom end kit for $216. (crank only maybe) Wiseco is good stuff, quality is good as any. Karting is a different application than dirtbike. Problems they encounter are different for different reasons.

yea I'm planning on calling them to see what it really includes. I was thinking maybe it is just the connecting rod and bearings, seals, etc. and then you would have to get the new rod pressed and trued on your crank halves. But if you look at the parts included list it says crankshaft, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I am picking the same crank. Not too long ago they were the same company. I believe both come from the same country, some place in the orient? As good as it gets. And they usually come with good bearings, seals and gaskets. I seen a complete wiseco engine kit for a little over 300 with shipping. I am po'ed I missed the rg3 20mm clamps! 250 bucks, thats half price! Hope we do not bid against each other, and always check their prices against a dealer and shipping. Vintage Bob

I actually found the wiseco bottom end kits at some mail order sites for the same price.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, a brand new Honda OEM crank assembly is $231.58 from Service Honda...

Super easy to deal with and good service.

BTW, it's gone up quite a bit in the last few years. I think i paid $170+- for a Honda crank when I rebuilt my '99 a 5 or so years ago.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
I called Wiseco today and found out that it is a complete already assembled and trued crankshaft assembly that includes bearings, gaskets, and seals. I have searched some mail order sites and for under $250 it is a killer deal.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Wiseco crank kits, case gaskets, crank bearings and seals, crank, 172 to 189, Hot rods the same price. Wiseco top end kits, gaskets, piston, rings, clips, 80 to 145. Complete wiseco engine kit, all of the above, 318. I did not do it, or make a dime. All I did was look. Wiseco is big in sleeves also, yuck! I have seen no bs cranks, other than the used ones, Oh boy cheaper? The pistons, bearings, and clutches, wow, where did all these bizarre companies come from? I seen a v-force for a little over 70 new? Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
One thing Eric pointed out about the crank kits. When you buy one from wiseco, it comes with wiseco bearings, oem or better seals and gaskets. Some fleabayers, not all, are putting Chinese crap in with the crank, bearings, gaskets and seals, watch it, and ask. And for the record, when my top ends go to Forward Motion, it will come back with a good wiseco crank from Eric, probably for less than fleabay. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom