A Dumb Question about Honda Tin Can Cranks

woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some input on the Honda Tin Can crank.

I actually ride a CR250 and I also have a TRX 250R Quad but am a lil lost on a decision.

In the past throught out life I have done a bunch of rebuilds on motors and never had any problems cuz Im VERY thorough on everything but the TRX 250R just about has me ran out of $$ from a ground up rebuild and now Im at a cross roads...

The TRX needs a crank. BUT... I also have a spare motor which has a crank in it but after removing the cylinder and looking down in it, the "Tin" on that crank appears to have made love with piston pieces (The Tin is dented rather badly near the edge).

Im wondering... Has anyone ran these like this??

Here's where it gets scarier... A while back I put a brand new Wiseco (made in Taiwan just like the Hot Rods crank) crank in my Cr250 and not many hours later the Tin flew apart (no damage during install) and Wiseco apparently knew they had a problem with these because they "Made Good" on it "Quickly" after I contacted them.

Ok.... Moral of the story here is: Is using a Tin Crank that is damaged (to the outer tin shell) a sure recipe for disaster?? (or are the Wiseco's flawed?)

I would love to just order up a new crank but like I said... $$ is getting really tight and Im thinking of splitting the cases on the spare motor and using the crank that is in it but the "Dents" on the tins scare me.

Hoping for lots of input Y'all!!

Thanks a bunch in advance

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Due to money restraint I have rebuilt a trx with the tin removed for a dune/ trail rider who got severall years riding happily. I did not ride his trx so can't tell you if the power was affected badly or not. I would rather run without the plates than live wondering when they will break up and cause problems

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is a lot of bottom end volume change. Pull less charge into a CR250? Other companies use plastic fillers. When the big end goes, so does the plastic, it melts and blows out the exhaust. Wiseco and Hot Rods are 2 separate companies the last I used.

woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
But without removing the stuffer Tin... Have many of Ya'll know of Tin Can cranks in a buddy's bike or what not running around with dents and dings (at the edge of the weight and all) such as it just ate a piston??

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
A smooth surface dent wont turn into more but a loose or flapping end or creased dent will vibrate and fracture and send pieces into bad places. so for me if the damage was on the edge I would not risk it. Just remember you risk a piston kit and cylinder if it goes wrong as well as the crank and in some cases a main bearing will lock and spin and mean new cases as well

Top Bottom