which fmf pipe should I get...

renes

Apr 7, 2002
I actually posted a thread a couple days ago, but I haven't been able to find it since so I hope I'm not duplicating this. Anyway I have a '94 YZ250. I ride a combination of mountain and motorcross probably with the emphasis on mountain. I still have the stock pipe and it has had a few dents pulled on it so it isn't completely smooth anymore. I was wondering if an after market pipe would be a good idea. I've read that most pipes only move power around, instead of adding power. If this is true then I won't get one. I'm quite happy with the low and mid range on my bike, but the top end flattens out and I especially notice it at the motocross track. I've looking at FMF's gnarly, but I'm affraid it won't give me the top end I want, but it has the 18 AWG metal for extra strength in the mountains. I've also looked at the Fatty, but I'm afraid it might effect my low and mid range. Has anyone here had experience with either pipe and more importantly on my bike?

O and I talked to a guy the other day that added a 3 mm spacer to his CR250 between the cylinder and pipe and apparently it added a bunch of power to his bike. Any comments about this?

Thanks.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i expect the gnarly will kill any top end power on that bike.

as for the spacer, that will make the pipe effectively longer and probably give bottom at the expense of top end.

i would look at the FMF fatty- a good do it all pipe, maybe check ebay also.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I use to have a couple of those 94s and they were good bikes , tinkered with some different things , We actually retarded the timing three degrees or so and ran a 390 main and the bike really revved farther and did not lose any low end we played with reed spacers too, Pro circuit ,Noleen, Dyno port,and FMF fatty pipes . the Gnarly was just getting introduced. I used to get good starts on that bike even with my big fat ass. I had a couple that were long rod and big bore 360 Ohlins kit too . Good bike

renes

Apr 7, 2002
Wow, its good to hear someone has had this bike. So when you retard the timing does it make the bike run lean. I only ask because a 390 main would really make my bike run rich since I'm currently using a 320. I ride at about 4000 ft above sea level.

Of all these mods you did which would you recommend I try? I would like to try the reed spacer, pipe spacer, and maybe the fatty. I don't want to spend lots of money but I want a better top end. I just installed dual stage Boysen reeds, but I didn't notice any difference.

DEANSFASTWAY said:
I use to have a couple of those 94s and they were good bikes , tinkered with some different things , We actually retarded the timing three degrees or so and ran a 390 main and the bike really revved farther and did not lose any low end we played with reed spacers too, Pro circuit ,Noleen, Dyno port,and FMF fatty pipes . the Gnarly was just getting introduced. I used to get good starts on that bike even with my big fat ass. I had a couple that were long rod and big bore 360 Ohlins kit too . Good bike

Top Bottom