Which fork oil for '00 YZ 250?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
I'll come with him.. MT biked Moab but not rode a bike there yet.. Man you even get to snow board I'll bet.. Lucky man you are Coop!..

Jer

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Belive it or not, I have never snowboarded, but I do snow ski, but we have had such mild winters, that if there is dirt showing, I am riding and testing my bike, and mountain biking is for the birds, dirt biking at moab is awsome, you can cover the main areas in about 2 days, Malcom Smith and tucker rocky went there this spring, I missed that one, but I did go with malcom in colorado, in harmel ranch, it was great also,,, So we can go snow sking one day, dune and desert riding one day, and moab, one day !! hows that sound ?

See ya Coop37

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Your a lucky man for the nth time coop.. I'm defiently comming.. If you like to ride and and ski.. You will love to board. I made the transtion about 4 years ago and love it.. It's like getting really whipped out and landing perfect back side evrery time kinda feeling once you get it.. Really smooth and fun.. But a hard learning curve...

Jer

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Maybe I WAS wrong Kxvet!

I just want to learn how ride trials Coop. You guys can go ski, I will stick to motorized fun.

JG has some form of rare disease he has been having bouts with on and off during his life. I wish this guy the best luck in knocking this thing back into remission. BUY YOUR RAFFLE TICKETS! NOW! C'mon you guys $25 for a worthy cause. If your lucky enough Okie will give you his bike.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Shock,
I call 'em like I see 'em!!
wink.gif

I got a new theme for this thread- Mr Jers Neighborhood..... (with the tune "Wont You Be my Neighbor" softly playing in the backround)!!
confused.gif

Also been a proud member of the half baked sense of humor club!!
Whats up with reference to 155mm shells?? You an old artillary dog?? I put time with the 81mm at FT Bragg, been there??

------------------

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Nope, never was actually in the service, but a hobby was military history. I love the strategy stuff. Sometimes when you collect all the facts you find out things like just how bad Westy mucked up Khe Sahn. Boy, did he ever blow that one. Interesting stuff.

I could have used mortar rounds but the 155's are big and exaggerate the point.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Shock,
You want to talk SNAFU, I went to Grenada with the 82nd and we had to use tourist maps for the first couple of days to navigate! Talk about a botched up operation!

Oops, I might have gotten off the track here, by the way what is the track here??
confused.gif

------------------

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yeah, we better take this off line. But, I'm interested. Lugging a base plate &tube around Grenada might not have been a good vacation.

I think the subject here now seems to be riding with Coop37. Geez, lets close this one up. I think everyones happy now, except Wrench. He seems to want my title.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Man, I go for the TWINKIES and SNOWCAPS....when I return ... someone has change the channel to LOVE STORY!!!!! Where's my CRYIN' TOWEL?
tongue.gif

Shocknut,
NO WAY DUDE...I am HAPPY to say; the title is yours to keep!
smile.gif

wrench

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
No it isn't, Mobil 1 ATF is compatible with all mineral/pertroleum based products to my knowledge. But, the idea of a good cleaning out is still a good one. You'd be surprised how much crud you can scrub off the inner surface of the chrome leg itself.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jeff Talking of crud have you noticed how much muck comes off the bladder in a CR/KX fork?I wipe it with a white paper towel and it takes ages for it to be clean.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yep, that brown sludge? You'll find it on most shock bladders too. Like you say Marcus, it takes some good wiping even after a solvent scrub sometimes.

Marcus, we need to talk 01 CR125 again. Got a bud here interested in what you did to yours to make it scream. Email me when you get a chance.

rick#3, I should clarify though that is necessary to pull the cartridge out and pump the oil out of it, if thats what you mean by completely disassemble.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Jeremy, would you suggest the same oil height in a 2001 YZ 125 for a 175 lb moderately aggressive rider? I am planning on putting the Mobil 1 ATF (synthetic) in my forks this evening and was originally going to go with 130 mm from the top tube and increment up 5mm if needed, but I have a feeling I will be bottoming out. I was bottoming out pretty bad with Silkolene 2.5 wt oil at 130mm. Valving is stock. Thanks!

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Dave I run mine at 80mm and like the extra bottoming resistance it affords. For your weight you will probably need a heavier spring.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Thanks slideways11,

OK, this may be a little long winded, but here goes. I got this bike about a month ago and the fork seals and oil had just been professionally replaced. I blew out one seal on the first day. While replacing the seal, I had to change the oil in the other fork b/c I had no idea what was in it. It measured 70mm, which is 10 more than the recommended maximum. I called the shop that replaced the seals in the first place and he said to run 130mm. I was totally confused, but put 130mm in anyway. The forks were bottoming really bad even on very small jumps, so I tore it back down last night and put the Mobil 1 ATF at 110mm. The forks are still off the bike b/c I'm waiting form my new triple clamp which should be in today.

Do you think I should go ahead and put in more oil until I can get stiffer springs? Should I go with .44kg/mm springs? The bike came with .41's I think.

I bought a sirynge last night for on-the-fly additions at the track, so maybe I should just try it like it is and add some if need be.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge I have received from this post so far. I'll get this down one day!

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I would run the fork oil level at 80mm. As for the fork spring I would go to a 46. Hope this helps

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
.46 is quite steep for a 175lb guy on YZ 125. Probably .42 is enough, and .43 at the most in my opinion. I weigh 215 and run .46's in my YZ 250!

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I Weigh 140 and am running the.42s now and was thinking of going to .44s. I get some pretty severe bottoming with the .42s. Probably you should try the .44s first. Springs are cheap enough to buy a couple of different rates and swap them around till you find what you like. Shocknut did you change the valving in your 250??

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
I am running .45kg springs and I am heavier than any of you , but it is a woods foof bike ( or is that foo-foo bike ) so that explains the differance. ;)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I also have a yz250 and was wondering if you lightened up your valving when you went to the heavier spring , and what effect it had on bottoming.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Slideways 11,
Thats what most suspension companies do.. IMO it gives the bike a very loose and harsh feel. With no valving the bike will osilate back and forth, with no control. A long timne ago I used to think this was great..

But its the trick that most suspension Guys do to "improve feel" on the first bump, and not "bottom" .

Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom