Which Front Fork Springs Do I Have?

DMKAL

Feb 9, 2002
I bought a used 1998 kdx 220 with several mods. How do I tell if the fork springs are stock or if they have been replaced with heavier springs? I weigh 215 and I'm 6'1" tall. The front always seems to want to colapse in tight turns. I have replaced the oil and set it accourding to the manual. I have adjusted he "clicker" to the hardest setting and it still wants to under steer. I have tried moving the forks lower and higher in the clamps. No changes in the problem. It appears I'm to heavy for the springs. I'm an aggressive rider and ride "on the tank" in tight corners. I want to get heavier springs, but don't know if the ones in it are the heavier
ones. Is there a mark or size that would help me identify my springs?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I guess it really doens't matter what you have because they don't work. At your weight I'd start with .40kg springs. Adjust the preload, the oil height and wt of the oil to suit your needs.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Its very easy. The 0.35 or 0.38 etc means K = 0.35 kg/mm. For every 0.35kg load you put on the spring it will travel 1mm. Take a 5kg waight, put it on top of the spring and see how far it travels in mm. Divide the weight ( 5 ) by the travel in mm and whala, you have the k factor. The more weight you use the more accurate will the result be.
IF you find it difficult to compress the spring ( it jumps sideways ), go to your fishing buddies. Take the scale they weigh their record fish with. Hang the bike spring to the garage roof, hook the scale at the bottom and pull. You can measure the distance travel for whatever kg you pull.
Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom