jjm7384

Sep 15, 2002
I recently owned a '93 KDX200 that was just stolen. At 5'9" 150# the bike fit me perfectly and was awesome to ride. I had just built it up including Fredette Porting/R&B Carb/Rad Valve/Pipe etc, and the night I got it back together it was stolen. In light of this I am looking to get a new bike and build it up, but am not sure which one. I ride in the Rocky Mountain Area, mostly tight, rocky trails.

The "E" model had inverted forks, but the newer ones don't. The new design also extends the forks well below the center of the wheel. Is this new design better, and does it take more of a pounding on the rocks?

Are there any pros to the new bikes or can I get an old non-raced bike with low milage and build it up for the same cost of a new one?

What about the 220s? I heard the 200 is much better to build up and still remains in the 0-200 class enduros. I need low end but is it worth the switch?

Any information you guys could pass on would be very helpfull in my decision. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: new forks

The forks hanging so far below the axle DOES make for getting them banged up pretty good. Obviously the 4" difference between the 'newer' forks and USD forks is going to make a difference in some rut or other.

re: Any pros to the new bikes?

Yes. Perimeter style (kx-like) frame. Improved KIPS system. BNG (bold new graphics!! ;) )

re: 200 better to build up

Pretty much. The more aggressive port timing of the 200 makes it a bit more of a screamer....as much as a kdx will scream, anyway. Put a kdx200 35mm carb (33mm oem) on a 220, and you'll still have the port timing issues.

You might check this out if you haven't seen it already:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html

I've never ridden a 220..but they reportedly can give you quite a bit bigger wallop on the bottom end than the 200. Still...the 200 can be tuned to give you a good bit of pull. You know that from your last bike (if you ever got to ride it :( )

Good luck!!

Sorry to hear about your bike.

May he/she/it/they roast in hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom