Which oil would you recomend

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Which oil should I use when I replace my rear shock oil. And what transmission oil is good. Just woods riding.
Thanks

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
There are lots of different opinions out there on oil brands. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF comes pretty highly recommended as fork oil. I would assume it would work well in the rear as well? Everyone seems to have their own preference with tranny oil. Mobil 1 synthetic 5w50 is good, 15w50, 10w30, Castrol syntec 5w50, pretty much any regular motor oil will work. Most manuals will recommend 10w30 or 10w40. It doesn't really matter too much what brand. ATF type F is also used quite a bit. The ATF generally needs to be changed more frequently, but it's a little cheaper. Basically, so long as you change tranny oil regulary (every few rides), you can take your pick on what to use.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I have used Golden Spectro Gear Saver in my last 6 bikes and it does a great job. I use 80 weight in the winter and 85 weight in the summer. It's been good for all of my bikes. The more important issue is make sure you change it often and clean and treat your air filter (I like PJ1 filter cleaner and treatment). Most mechanics recommend changing the oil after every 2-3 rides and clean (or check) the air filter after every ride. Personally, I change the oil and clean the filter after each ride. I know it's keeping my engine happy and it's peace of mind when you are heading 20 miles into the deep woods. Clean oil and clean air are super important on 2 strokes. Happy Trails!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in shocks and some forks. I works great and is about a 7w. I get a silky smooth action with it, but it is a little too heavy for my YZF's forks. I run it in both ends on my son's KDX.

I run Mobil 1 15w-50 (red cap) in four strokes and in two strokes as tranny oil. One of the best oils you can buy, at any price.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by BadgerMan

I run Mobil 1 15w-50 (red cap) in four strokes and in two strokes as tranny oil. One of the best oils you can buy, at any price.

I agree, I buy the stuff by the case. It goes in both the Hondas and in my Katoom tranny case.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom