Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've always had a kind of theory about what moves people with certain images, but every now and then I like to check to see if my thinking is clear. To that end here's a simple image I like, that I post processed a couple of different ways in color and B&W. I'd be interested to hear which version you like, and if you are inclined to say, I'd like to know why.

I know which one I like best but I'm curious what other people think.:cool:

Version 1 is the original shot in full color with the EXIF info.

D300_Rosen_sign_988.jpg

EXIF.jpg

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Version 2 is a B&W conversion using a Green digital filter
D300_Rosen_sign_bw_green.jpg

=====================================

Version 3 is a B&W conversion using harsh contrast
D300_Rosen_sign_BW_harsh.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Version 4 is a B&W conversion using an old style Polapan instant slide process.

D300_Rosen_sign_palopan.jpg

Version 5 is a B&W conversion using a Sepia mid band split process

D300_Rosen_sign_SEPIA.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
oldguy said:
BTW did the package arrive today

Yes it did Dave, and all I can say is :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: THANK YOU!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here's a better Version 5 , call it 5B. :whoa:

D300_Rosen_sign_SEPIA_2_800.jpg

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Of the B&W versions, I like #2 the best. The neon sign and its reflection seem to be sharper and more defined, with less glare, and I think that is why it appeals to me more. In this case, the sharper letters and more contrast with their 'shadows' on the sign works better.

That being said, I think I like the original color version even more. The four different black corners surrounding the predominantly red image are cool. I guess this image in red/black is slightly more appealing to me than gray/black. I also really like the way the pink and green work in the color version.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
#2, that particular sign looks old, and is best depicted old. Second choice is 5b, it does make it look interesting. The other pics take away from the sign and more to the building. That much lite on the building seems unnatural.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Number 1 (color) does it for me. I might have a different choice if it wasn't a shot of neon lights. I just think the color coming off the bricks gives it a really cool feel. Sort of implies a "red light district" imagery to me. I like that the lights are so bright, but for me they don't dominate the image. The light kind of directs my attention to the window which gets me thinking, "I wonder what's going on in that room?"

Of the b&w's, I like 5B the best. The sepia effect really works for this and gives it a time-warp feel, like we're looking at this from 40 or 50 years ago. I think I also like 5B because it has a stronger vignette effect to it. It really helps isolate the window. Maybe the color version could benefit from a little more vignette? It would be interesting to see.

Great shot!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kawi - Your thoughts run pretty much parallel to mine. Normally I don't get too excited by most color images I shoot, but there is something about neon at night that has always really clicked with me.

It's an old sign from a place that has been there since the the 50s or early 60s so the sepia seems to fit as well.

I'm going to play with the original color version and pull the brightness out of the corners some to see how it looks.

This was just a grab shot from the car window while I was waiting at a light. I guess it pays to keep a camera with you all the time. :)

Hergert521

Mar 17, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
#2, that particular sign looks old, and is best depicted old. Second choice is 5b, it does make it look interesting. The other pics take away from the sign and more to the building. That much lite on the building seems unnatural.

I agree. Option 2 it is for me. The sign looks like it is from the 1950's. The lighting, less glossy feel & shading makes the picture fit that era very well.

They all look very good!

Hergert521

Mar 17, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Kawi - Your thoughts run pretty much parallel to mine. Normally I don't get too excited by most color images I shoot, but there is something about neon at night that has always really clicked with me.

It's an old sign from a place that has been there since the the 50s or early 60s so the sepia seems to fit as well.

I'm going to play with the original color version and pull the brightness out of the corners some to see how it looks.

This was just a grab shot from the car window while I was waiting at a light. I guess it pays to keep a camera with you all the time. :)
Scary, made almost the same post at the same time.

Top Bottom