noodle11

Feb 8, 2004
Hi All,

I'm new at this so take it easy on me....
OK, I'm picking up a s/hand 04 kdx200 this week and after deciding to go with KDX opposed to KTM, husky etc, i've got a bit of cash to play with ;->
After spending some time checking out the previous posts, it certainly seems as though an aftermarket pipe is the way to go to boost power.

My question is;
Do FMF and PC manufacture the same pipe models/stats for the Australian market as they do for the states etc?

Is an Australian delivered KDX the same spec as an OS delivered model? i.e. Will my bike be effected the same way by performance add ons as described by others in the post.

I'm sure the that they'd be the same but I just want to be sure as i'll probably base 99% of my decision making on the advise I've been reading in these threads and I think that most of you guys/gals are OS from me....

Thanks for the help.
Any local advise would be welcomed.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Dont worry you can get nearly all the aftermarket goodies over here that they can. I had to get my V-Force 2 reed cage shipped from the US to a reseller in Melbourne. If you tell us where in OZ you are i might be able to help you a bit more with where to get your goodies from. As far as i know we have blinkers and a horn and I'm pretty sure they don't. An absolute MUST visit is http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Cool Im near Parramatta. Yhe first thing you should do is throw the airbox lid in the garage drawer because KDX's come very rich from the factory and will need to be jetted properly for optimal performance. Theres tonnes of power and reliabilaty to be found experimenting with jets and needles. The V-Force 2 had to be sent in through a company called CISCOS in Victoria i think. Im getting ready to send my head and carby to the US to have Ron at rb-designs.com do his work. If you need general goodies MCA has a few branches around Sydney. Any further ???'s just shoot.... tREV

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
When I bought my new 2000 model KDX200 I couldn't afford a new pipe, so I decided to rejet the carb to get a little more oomph out of the bike. I changed to a 155 main jet, a 45 pilot, and raised the clip to the second position from the top on the needle. I also turned the air screw out approx 1 1/2 turns. I also pulled the snorkel out of the airbox lid and drilled 5 (one cm in diameter) holes in the back of the lid. The new jets cost less than $25.

This made the bike run a lot better. It no longer felt like it was bogging down, down low and flattening out up top.

If you don't want to rejet, at least make sure your airscrew is not fully closed as mine was. Turning it out 1 1/2 turns made a big difference to the fact it was bogging down, down low.

All this info is on the Just KDX website. http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ "under tech tips"

I also noticed my clutch lever had no free play, this caused the bike to stall on numerous occasions under hard braking even though I had the clutch pulled into my fingers whilst braking. I would recommend giving a little more freeplay if want to avoid this scenario. (It's very frustrating when your racing and it drops you from 3rd to 10th position! :( )

Good luck

noodle11

Feb 8, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I work at Nth Parramatta so getting to MCA won't be a prob.
BTW, just found out the bike's a 03 and not a 04 model?! Doh.
Don't think Kawasaki makes a 04 model KDX anyhow....
Guess I shoulda checked the plates on it!

Doesn't matter I guess, it only had 100k's on it.

What's your opinion on how long to run the bike in for?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Well my bike was bought second hand but theres loads of info on this site about running in an engine. My mate owns property out at Dural and we have built a track / circuit on his land so we ride out there. Where do you ride?? (menai, lithgow, pacific park.). Between 95 and 04 (which they do make) there are no improvments other than Bold New Graphics... LOL

browne

Feb 13, 2004
I have just cut my expansion chamber(kdx 200 97) in two peices and removed the power sucking baffles,got it welded back together a an engineering shop, and man it now flys.
I reckon it has added 5 hp to the engine,that"s a lot for a small bore.
highly recomended and very cheap.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom