kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
99 RM250. Using it for woods mostly. Love the power, but would like a little better behavior down low. Midrange is insane, and it seems like top end is just as good as midrange. I will probably get eric gorr porting (better everywhere) at the next top end rebuild, but am looking for a pipe to start. Currently stock except 13/51 gearing and FMF turbine silencer.

Is FMF Gnarley a good pipe for down low?

clumberjacks

Apr 25, 2002
well, its hard to say. you have a rm and i have a yz. but its really on how you ride it. if your gonna pound on the gas all the time, then you want something like the fmf fatty or the powercore. i have the pro circuit which is also a great pipe for pit riding, but not too good in the woods. i think any aftermarket pipe is gonna make you bog. but if your looking at a good pipe to buy, i would go with the fmf powercore. my buddy has one on his cr and it is great.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Well, I'm pretty new to this all. Today was about my 10th hour on the bike - The thing has so much midrange power that it either wheelies or spins the tire in every gear, including 5th, going 50+ MPH. My biggest complaint is killing it in the technical stuff. Technique is helping, but it still doesn't have much power very low. I've thought about a flywheel weight, but I really do like the power on the open fireroads and stuff, and so don't want to snuff that with a flywheel weight.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Before you waste your money on a new pipe, wait to see how you like Eric's porting. You may be surprized that you won't even need a pipe.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
What is the turn around time on those? Is it even worth considering having this done locally? There is a guy near me that all he does is engines (kinda like eric..)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Only Eric does it like Eric. There are good tuners and bad ones. I know Eric is one of the good ones and his prices are very reasonable. You'd have to check with him but mine took 1 1/2 weeks in the late fall. It depends on how busy he is.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
I just did my top end rebuild, I was going to send it to Eric for porting, but logistically, it just didn't work, so I rebuilt the top end stock, and I've currently got a flywheel weight, torque reeds, and the stock pipe. The flywheel weight was the best mod for the woods.

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
Sounds like your jetting is off for low speed riding. Maybe try a different needle in your bike. Getting the best throttle response is all about jetting.
I have learned quite a bit since I just got back into riding about 2 years ago. Go to the 2 stroke section of this forum and ask around what guys are using for needles and jets for your bike. (CR,KX,YZ,RM section)
Little Jeff

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
fmf gnarly pipes are great for useable midrange/smooth power. then again i ride a gasgas ec300. also flywheel weights help low end with out hindering top end punch. my son has a 00 yz 80 with a 12 0z flywheel weight for bush riding/that bike kicks but in the tight stuff.

Top Bottom