girlbiker

May 26, 2002
hi i am a girl as u can see ...i want a kx sound ...i am looking at a pro circuit pipe but dont want much more power ...which pipe ..ps i am not changing the chamber...

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
gb, i'm not a fan of an overly obnoxious bike (THE CROSS HAIRS ARE ON US) remember.the stock chamber/silencer both deaden sound due to their construction.anything too loud would also not be spark safe....another bad thing.fmf tc2 or pc ?,please go w a sa silencer :) or change the chamber and keep the stock silencer.no offense

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
GB, maybe you think that putting on a good pipe will send you on your butt, but that's not the case. It'll 'waken your bike for sure but won't turn it into a kx. No offense but why do you want the kx sound? You won't get it anyway.
If you change your pipe you'll wish you'd done it sooner. If you just feel like spending some cash on your favourite toy, maybe consider tuning your suspension? My .02, just exercising my fingers. Good luck..Dvo

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There isn't a pipe choice that won't give you more power.

Guess you could strap on either a PC or an FmF and then bang it all up!

What are you calling 'kx sound'?

Like dvo said, don't see that happening.

Like gooby said, an S/A is required in the woods...and you don't wanna (hopefully) be TOO irritating/obnoxious.

Oh well...it's only a few years 'til the 2-stroke is banned.

THEN we can all ride loud and obnoxious 4-strokers!!! ;)

MDA

May 27, 2002
girlbiker,

There has been a push recently in both Canada and the US to ban two stroke engines. Much of that, in my opinion, is due to two stroke personal watercraft that leak oil into the water. Regardless, I would not be surprised to see two stroke vehicles banned in the US within the next ten years. If that happens, then Canada would probably follow in their footsteps within a year or two.

-Mark-

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
The US will not ban 2 strokers... just not allow anymore to be imported as EPA regulations stiffen. Don't worry... we are safe with our current bikes! :moon:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by rethnal
The US will not ban 2 strokers... just not allow anymore to be imported as EPA regulations stiffen. Don't worry... we are safe with our current bikes! :moon:

I don't think my current bike will last 20 more years so what do you mean "don't worry"???

Also, if you guys will notice girlbiker doesn't live in the US or Canada.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have a spare...it will be wothless in about 5 years also.

Not being able to buy a new one and watching spare parts dry up is as good as banned to me. Besides, have you ridden a 15 yr old bike lately. Yeah, I got your point, doesn't mean it was worth a whole lot.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Boy James... in a flaming mood today? :p Yes... I have a 85 Honda XL350 and it is MINT! Runs and rides GREAT! Also a 98 KTM 250 EXC which is for sale if you know anyone interested. $2,900 and it is also mint. To make your life less stressful... Get over it and enjoy what you have. I agree that two strokers are the BEST and I also do not want to see them go away! There is a two stoker that meets the new EPA standards and they are American made and are getting ready to launch dealerships. When I remember what they are called, I will shoot you a message so you can relax a little.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Point is, there is a difference between relaxed and complacent...I am plenty relaxed. Also, there is a difference between flaming and disagreeing...you haven't been flamed. :confused:

I guess it is real easy to have a stress free life if you just sit back and take it as it happens to you....wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if everbody was so sedate???

Off road bikes that actually get ridden as intended don't generally have a life of 17 years...so I don't see the relevance of a low performance 4 stroke dual purpose bike to the banning of two strokes and the claim that "we are safe with our current bikes"

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: banned

I realize GB is down south. Still, when the US market dries up, don't expect japan/germany/spain/wherever put out the same number of models that are available now.

No, 2-strokes aren't going to be 'banned' exactly.

12 years ago, the county I live in didn't 'ban' hotrods, either. BUT...all cars had to run thru a smog check to get licensed. Try getting past a hydrocarbon sniffer with a 292º/.508 106º centerline cam. Didn't make it. Even running 100% alcohol. So...while my car wasn't EXACTLY banned, it might as well have been.

So I moved!!

Same sort of thing will happen to 2-smokes. AND it's not going to happen in ten years! Current time frame is 2006!

If youse guys aren't AMA members..don't keep up on what's happening under your noses (read: complacent)..you won't have a bike to ride!

Which won't matter a whole lot...cuz you won't have anyplace to RIDE it anyway!!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Anywho, GB, an answer to your original post that is not off subject would be you can maybe get close to a KX sound by changing your silencer only. If I read your post correctly you said
ps i am not changing the chamber...
FWIW, I changed out my chamber and silencer on my '01 220 to a FMF Gnarly Torque and a FMF TC2 Silencer. It is twice as loud as the stock silencer, which I didn't exactly care for. Louder is not exactly better for the woods here in the US. JMO. Hope it helps.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Relevance? Hmmmm..... Read your own question and then post James. Let's call a truce and agree to disagree! Sorry, Girlbiker, I didn't mean to change the subject on you. I was just trying to clearify a point and didn't expect a heavy debate over this. :cool:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am quite aware of what my question was....maybe I should have stated it more clearly as "Have you ridden a 15 yr old two stroke in a competitive event lately or do you even ride in a manner in which you can take advantage of the technological advances that have taken place in motorcycle design over the past 15 years". The non-relevance of this additional point you are trying to make is that if your riding consists or putzing about on an overweight trail bike with blinkers, than I can see how you might be complacent about the senseless banning (or whatever you want to call it) of competitive two stroke motorcycles. Very few people care to ride 85 XL350s anymore and very few people are going to want to be riding 2002 CRs in 2017.

Maybe if you stuck with "change the silencer" instead of making such a simplistic comment about a real intrusion into our ability to participate in our particular recreational/sporting activity, you wouldn't have drawn such the response.

Anyway, I have been agreeable to disagreeing with you all along.

To answer the original question...find a standard MX type silencer without a spark arrestor and your bike will sound more like a KX.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
This guy just won't give it a rest! Oh well... Heres the real deal James. 85 XL350's are pulling $1,500 or more off eBay and this just makes your comments about them invalid. They are highly desireable bikes because they are street legal trail bikes. No, it is not my favorite bike by far because it is heavy but has tons of torque. Also... what is a CR rider doing in a KDX forum? I happen to own a 92 KDX and this bike just rocks! I didn't see any KDX reference in your list of bikes.
Sorry again girlbiker

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by rethnal
This guy just won't give it a rest!

If you were truly "sorry" you would have PMd this and the rest of your "points" as you later suggest instead of trying to elaborate more on whatever it is you are trying to prove.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
power core and turbine core (spark arrestor) are both good choices. the power core will give you a traditional two-stroke sound and also the most noise. the turbine core will still give you a much better sound, when compared to stock, and really is the responsible choice if you are going to be riding off-road (read: non-competition). either of these (or a pro-circuit) will give you more sound and more power when compared to stock.

will

tanner07

Sep 10, 2002
I have to agree with james i dont know what you are talking about renthal i dont want to be riding some old beater. And yes a 85 pf any model is slightly outdated.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
No one said you have to ride a 4 stroker and I agree that an 85 is old and outdated. I definately prefer the 2 stroker . ALL I SAID IS THAT THEY WILL NOT BE BANNED. Why is that so hard to understand?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom