Which sprocket should i change?

LVDirtJunky

Aug 8, 2006
I want more speed, its bigger in the front and smaller in the back to achieve this right? I race desert and am getting tired of being passed by riders on a long fast stretch that I had past throuh a more tech section, I dont want to lose all torque out of the corners more of a perfect medium. I was curious what "gear ratio" you guys use, if thats the term, to achieve this.

Thanks

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm not sure about the RMZ, but I wouldn't go up more than one on the front because of possible clearance issues. Going up one on the front should be equivalent to going down about 3 on the rear. That will be a noticeable difference and you might be able to do it without changing the chain length. Years ago I used to carry 3 different front sprockets...a 12 for indoors, a 13 for MX, and a 14 for HSs and enduros.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Lord Gomer is close. Piece of advice.... never use a 12 if your over the age of 30yr., give you a heart attack. Opinion; 14/48-49 would be a good mix. With the 450, should others be "faster" it may not be a bike thing, or it may not necessarily be a 450. I've been hearing of throttle tubes that provide a longer pull of cable with less twist... don't know much more thant that, if there is such a device then cutting the twist from 1/4-full quicker would get you to fast,faster and after that it would be all bike. Hope this made sense.

Gomer, "bikeless" what's up with that? Got a '97KX250 or an '05YZ250 I'll let you borrow you ever get up this way.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
KX250Dad said:
Gomer, "bikeless" what's up with that? Got a '97KX250 or an '05YZ250 I'll let you borrow you ever get up this way.
Long story, but I hope to have another one in a year or two. Thanks to good people like you, I still get to ride every once in a while. Thanks for the offer!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…