ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I recently moved over the weekend and on Monday I hooked my PC up and we had time warner come out and install roadrunner. Later that night I get on the internet and then 5 minutes later IE pops up like 45 windows all at once and task mngr wouldnt work so I couldnt cancel the I.Explorer process. So I did a hard boot. When it rebooted, it got to the windows boot process and then the HDD made that god awefull "GRRRDDD" sound and a blue screen came up that I've never seen before. It said something like:
Your computer has failed to compete the boot process to protect your computer from being dammaged. If this is the first time you have seen this message, reboot your computer.
If you have recently installed any hardware or software pleaese remove it and reboot your computer. You might need to remove the HW/SW by going into safe mode....
Okay.. So I rebooted and went into safe mode and I get the same damn message... I've tried this like 10 times with the same result everytime... It was working perfectly fine before I set it up at our new house and I've even unplugged the Road Runner router. I'm going to reseat the mem and HDD later but I dont see why that would be an issue if it will get to the loading windows screen and the HDD is brand new (3 months old) so i know its not that... Any ideas? :think:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
If you moved and the whole machine was jarred around and bounced how do you know it isn't the HDD or anything else for that matter? Sorry but I've had several hard drives die in transit.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
MrLuckey said:
If you moved and the whole machine was jarred around and bounced how do you know it isn't the HDD or anything else for that matter? Sorry but I've had several hard drives die in transit.

Yeah, the "GRRRDDD" sound from the HDD doesn't sound good. Maybe one of the IDE connectors are loose,or a bad PSU.

A couple of other things to check is the CMOS battery. I've heard (don't quote me on it) if they get low they'll loose the BIOS settings,and cause a BSOD.

All the BSOD's I've had happen where from bad RAM,or a bad HDD.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Tennessee Thumper said:
I almost forgot the best tip.

Click

Click

Just picking :)

:coocoo:
Friends don't let friends own fruity computers :laugh: ;)

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
TheGrinch said:
What OS do you run?
It's XP home... I know its crap but it's what I got.

Also I reset the mem dim last night and noticed that the fuggn HDD wasnt even setting in the metal bracket right. I dont know if someone knocked it over or what but I took it out put back in and still same damn message. :bang:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
MrLuckey said:

Well I was hoping that it wasnt that. I'm a PC tech and know more than your average person about computers. I wrapped it in towels when we moved and sat it on the floor board of the car in the back seat. However I'm not the one who brought it into the house and I think that whoever did might have knocked it over... Something happened because like i said the HDD wasnt sitting correctly in the metal bracket. And it doesnt just slide out w/out force.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Tennessee Thumper said:
Yeah, the "GRRRDDD" sound from the HDD doesn't sound good. Maybe one of the IDE connectors are loose,or a bad PSU.

A couple of other things to check is the CMOS battery. I've heard (don't quote me on it) if they get low they'll loose the BIOS settings,and cause a BSOD.

All the BSOD's I've had happen where from bad RAM,or a bad HDD.

Yeah i was telling my g/f that its not supposed to make that noise and didnt until Monday. i also checked the Cmos batt.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
MrLuckey said:

Just to add some additional info... The computer worked fine after i hooked it up and the TW tech installed road runner. Later that night is when it crashed. :think:

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
ls1cameric said:
It's XP home... I know its crap but it's what I got.

Also I reset the mem dim last night and noticed that the fuggn HDD wasnt even setting in the metal bracket right. I dont know if someone knocked it over or what but I took it out put back in and still same damn message. :bang:

Hows XP home crap? Home SP2 pretty much rocks, I love it. I play a lot of games, so its top notch. Linux is kinda fun, though.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
So i ran a diagnostic on the HDD and it came back saying that it is ok. So now I think I need to repair the boot sector but I'm not really sure how!!! I know you can do it from the DOS promt but dont know the code. Any informants know what it is? ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ls1cameric said:
I'm a PC tech and know more than your average person about computers.

Given the content of this thread I would say that is open to debate. :rotfl:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
Given the content of this thread I would say that is open to debate. :rotfl:

Sooo.. the first time that you ever ran across an issue you never had to ask for help?
Theres always at least one smart ass when you post something like this...

Top Bottom