toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i ride my kdx220 at a mx track quite a bit and i've noticed that i can't move it around in the air very well. there is a jump that i always hit as im still turning from the corner right before the jump and my back end always swings out. i try to move the bike back in underneath me and it starts coming back but it moves slowly. i know most of it is probably me but is it possible for the kdx to be whipped or moved around in the air like 125's and 250's? another thing ive noticed is that revving the bike in the air doesnt do much to raise the front end.

im thinking about getting a YZ250 how much easier would that be to move around in the air?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
A 1975 DT125 can be whipped... so can a KDX! It's not a big deal if you approach the jump correctly. As far as the the rev factor on bringing the front end up...you have to be in gear with the clutch out. It's the tire torque that does it! (respectively) ;)

Last edited:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I can whip mine a little bit, but im still practicing. Watch crusty 7, the helmet cam whips... and just do the motions that they do, it helps. This is how I am learning

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i know that it can be whipped but how much easier is it to do it on a mx bike? i went to the canadian nationals in calgary this weekend and there were people moving the bike around alot off small jumps where they barely had any air. i know that the pros can do this but even in the beginner races people could whip it with very little air.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
In a Nutshell..... approach the jump from the inside and hit it at a 20 degree angle or so opposite of the of the whip (start about 5...then 10 and so on). Depending how much whip you want...the more the angle...the more the whip....with your body at a zero degree angle.... once you are airborn, the bike will start to pull towards you! You can vary the degree of pullback by leaning more opposite of the intial angle of the bike. Once you master this..... it's all cake!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Yea, Like Rethnal said. Also, if revving doesn't raise the front end much, try tapping the front brake while in the air. That should make it move. :eek:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I was kidding, hence the eek! face. Tapping the front brake usually has a violent effect on bringing the front wheel back to earth. It is a last ditch effort if I somehow find myself suspended in the air and going to loop the bike.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
i've done it and gotten away with it, but it did jolt me a bit when the front tire came back up to speed.  The jolt is more on higher speed jumps, because the tire has to speed up more when you land.  Wouldn't want to do that when the bike was whipped.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You did say it rethnal, I heard you! I just don't think he understood a word you said. Unless you see it in action and can tie the words to the motions, it can be confusing. Too bad we can't post mpg videos.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i think theres another thread that has a link to a site with step by step tips. and theres pics showing the steps too.
yea i knew not to hit the front brake, i just heard it has WAY more affect than hitting the rear brake, i just didnt know how much.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Down does...., like hitting the brake but not very controllable and you may go over the handlebars. Same with up... but not nearly as effective as revving the motor in gear with the clutch out. But it does make a nice transission to haul @ss after you land! :)

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol... i found that out the hard way... about downshifting.. lol make sure you nblip the throttle RIGHT before you land so you dont endo lol... upshifting./.. no effect, but blip the throttle a little before you land, so you dont bog too much. Just to get you going faster.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
any time you acellerate or decellerate the rear tire while you are in the air, the bike's position will be affected.  Physics dictates this.  Transfer of force.  Kinda like when a shotgun recoils.

if you were able to upshift and give it gas, the front end should come up a bit each time you upshift.  Downshifting doesn't do as much as stopping the rear wheel with the brake.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom