new to the kdx forum and i am having trouble figering and what is wrong with my kdx

shane92

Jun 20, 2012
new to the kdx forum and i am having trouble figering out what is wrong with my kdx

i got a 1987 kdx 200 that i got from a guy in new york about 2 years ago and he got it from a police auction. it was a real bascket case. i got it in boxes.the guy said it was not getting spark and the motor was just sitting in the frame.i bolted the motor down and hooked the two wires up and throw in a new spark plug and gas and it fired right up.it was missing the air box but it had the boot on it so i cut a shirt and put that over the end of the boot.it was not running as good as it should have so i got a top end gasket kit and rings.when i put it back together i gave it a couple of kicks and it ran better so i shut it off and realised i did not but the air boot and shirt filter back on.so when i did i went to ride it again put it was bogging down again.so i took the carb off and cleaned it thinking it had dirt in it and i put it on and started it up and it ran good so i kept it running and put the boot on and it died. so i finilly realised the shirt was to thick so i got soi got some cloth that was thinner and i was riding it like that for a year but it was still not running at is full potencial so i parked it for couple months and starting it now and then. my brother got a blaster i liked how it ran so i desided to git one that needed work and got it running and ive bin riding that but i realised that i liked riding dirt bikes more so i pulled the kdx back out and bin working on it and trying to get it to run how it should and fixing the odds and ends i was to cheap to fix when i got it but the problems i am having is the head is leaking and the peace that moves the shaft for the exhuast valves kepts popping off.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
i kinda have a headache now and have no idea what you are asking im confused hopefully someone else can help you i cant believe you bought a quad wait yeah maybe it all makes sense now

shane92

Jun 20, 2012
yea i now i got sick of reading it half way through and i posted it. after the kdx is up and running that blaster is going to sit in the back of the garage. but i wish that i let it sit in the back of the barn i pulled it out off

shane92

Jun 20, 2012
i did and it is on its way. i was working on the rear shock and i took the cap off the resivoir and it was empty is there sopost to be shock oil in it and if there is what kind do i need

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
tr transmission fluid and when you see the stuff leaking out either put more in or try to put a new seal in the shock, you may want to use a drilled out sink stopper but the seal kit is best

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
A few things come to mind. From what you have said it sounds like the bike may need a lot of work (hard to know) and that's all good if you love working on bikes as some of us do. But if you love riding and not working on bikes then you may do better to buy a bike that's all sorted. Lets say you are going to stick with your bike, it sounds like you need to do some serious up-skilling when it comes to mechanical things. I'd suggest you start by buying a service manual for your bike and read every word of it. That'll give you a basic understanding of where oil should and shouldn't be and what type goes where. One of the important things to keep in mind is that the designers of your bike designed specific parts to go in specific places and most of these things should not really be substituted. One of the things people have not told to you is the horror some of us felt when you mentioned your makeshift shirt air filter, this gives us an understanding of how much you need to learn about motors, as a motor with a poor or makeshift air filter usually doesn't last long. Read a service manual and then ask questions about the bits you don't understand. Have fun.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
i thinks you need to fix the thing the peace that moves the shaft for the exhuast valves kepts popping off i bin down that rode beefore so i desided to git one to so i shut it off and realised i did not but the air boot...... Hope this helps.. yoo hav majer intake and exhaust no nos fix thees furst.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
this thread makes me realize how happy I am I went to school before they started allowing spell check to be used directly after learning the alphabet!!!!!

:bang:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Where's SuperHunky when you need him?

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Buy a service manual, read it. It will tell you what jets are standard etc. Then you can check what you've got against what you should have. If you don't know what you are doing, don't muck about with jetting until you do, it can be expensive. Seriously, go for the service manual and set the bike up standard and go from there.

shane92

Jun 20, 2012
i got the manual and it says my model is a kdx200-c3 and it is sopost to have a keihin pwk35. but my bike has a mikuni. the other model in the book. says it has the keihin and the australian model of the kdx200-d2 has the mikuni

Top Bottom