Oct 22, 2000
I have been noticing throughout this thread that no one is talking about "Todays" guitarists. Could it be that the new crop can't hold a candle to the oldsters who knew how to actually play a melody and not just pound on an axe with drop D tuning? I don't know if I'm the only one who has noticed this, but it seems that the beauty, art and skill of the "lead" has been lost to the younger generation. I can't even think of a modern rock song that even has anything resembling a lead in it. My 18 year old daughter has gotton into listening to real guitarists like Hendrix, SRV, Page, Clapton, Van Halen and rarely listens to her CDs of new stuff. The lead I find the most passion in is the first half of the lead in Pink Floyds, Comfortably Numb. Gives me goose bumps everytime I hear it.

Rat's Gear:

Charvel Model 2
BC Rich Mockingbird (w/Seymour Duncan Full Shreds):thumb:
'79 Strat in tobacco Sunburst
BC Rich Warlock Bass
2 Marshall halfstacks

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
'Trap
I completely agree with the solo observation. I've got all the younger guys at work begging me to play 70's and 80's rock. Y&T, Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Dokken, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, older Mettalica, Motley Crue, Scorpions, Black Sabbath and all the other bands that understood the value of the guitar. I'm not a huge fan of newer stuff, but I like Incubus' sound and originality. Also Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine can shred.
Ibanez and Yamaha electric
Takamine acoustic
Mesa 50cal. Head
GK 2x12 cabinet
No effects or preamps

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Rattletrap'83CR480
I have been noticing throughout this thread that no one is talking about "Todays" guitarists.
I don't know but I think someone mentioned John Petrucci

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Rattletrap'83CR480
Alright Jeff, so ONE:think: was mentioned. He still can't hold a candle to the oldies. I'll put Satch and Vai up against him any day.

RatTrap:thumb:
Funny you should mention those two in the same sentence with John, I got to see all three together last year. I really don't care for satch but I have to admit Via is incredable and the three of them together are indeed in a league of thier own.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
it seems that the beauty, art and skill of the "lead" has been lost

The last two guitarists I can remember that really blew me away were Ty Tabor and Nuno. I have not heard much lately that really impressed me although I have not been going out of my way to listen.

Another guy that really impressed me (withing the last ten years) is Vince Gill. I have seen him play a few times, both live and on the TV, and he just floors me! He must sleep with a guitar! He plays so fluidly and effortlessly.

The talent is obviously still out there, it just kinda took a back seat to style and fashion.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yeah, Vince Gill knows his stuff. You should check out some of his older stuff, Pure Praire Leauge. Some good tunes, for sure. Trap, you should check out Neil Zaza, he is absolutely amazing... very melodic... he can sherd, cry, scream, and wail. Not just noise... this dude knows his theory. Via... wow, check out Kazza for a Video of a tune called Sweet Surrender. Just watch it, its awesome.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
I think John Petrucci is an exception to to the rule of today's players. IMO, Dream Theater is in a league of their own, period. My personal favorite is Jimmy Page though, and I could go on forever about that. BTW, I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Savatage) with Alex Skolnick this past December, and they freakin' rocked! Awesome show.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Petrucci's playing is way technical... not too much feeling. Impressive, but still can't be matched with some of the more soulful artists. EVH... not a big fan. Revolutionary, but in the later stuff it just sounds forced "let's see how many notes I can fit in this little space". Just seems like he's always trying to show off.

Me, I lack the disclipline to get very good. I was serious for a while; but then I got my liscense, then it was streetbikes, now my passion is dirtbikes. :) I still play occasionally and consider auditioning for bands.

My rig: Jackson King V standard thru Crate solid state halfstack.
I have a practice 24 fret ibanez and small hohner amp, and a cheapo acoustic for bare bones jamming.

And about the soloing... you don't see it anymore because it's all been done before. Creative licks have been bordering on noise for a while now. Everything sounds like something else... :think:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
someone I almost forgot about. Pat Travers! I only got to see him play about 2 dozen times in the late early 80's, he can rip and a lot of feeling in his style. It seemed when he was up and coming, he got the opening gig for every major rock act in Dallas. Then he made it big, filling arena's and such. I got the chance to run sound for him about 20 years later and he still ripped, I guess everyone sooner or later turns out to be a "has been". When asked who he idolized he mentioned a piano player. While every wanna be was doing the air guitar thing, Pat always imagined himself playing keys even while on a guitar.

Originally posted by Fark
And about the soloing... you don't see it anymore because it's all been done before.
The above quote reminds me of when the US department of patents closed at the end of the 19th century because they had decided everything that could be invented had already had been.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Nobody has mentioned Knopfler. I like his "organic" style.

Eddie. Eruption. :worship: End of discussion as far as I am concerned.

Page was absolutely brilliant. He did things that seem a little passe' now, but at the time had never been done. His solos in Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love,
and yes, Stairway, were exquisite. "Rock and Roll" is arguably one of the best rock tunes ever. I gotta get me a Cadillac.

Honestly; I never saw that Clapton was that special. My loss.

Rip me for this one, but Slash has a good moment now and then.

Sadly, all these guys are aging, and seem to have lost a bit of the magic.

I went and found a Zaza site; listened to "Star Spangled Banner". Probably a poor choice on my part, but he sounded JUST LIKE HENDRIX , but on a bad day. Perhaps more research is needed on my part.

Oh, and while I am at it; if I hear that Kid Rock - Sheryl Crowe crap one more time I am going postal!!

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
Jon K. said:
He came across an old guitar that looked like it had been burnt in a fire or something to that effect.

. . . . pause for dramatic effect . . . .

It was the Hendrix Monterey guitar!! :yeehaw:

I don't know how much of the story is true, but it made my hair stand up.

I recently saw that guitar. It’s in a newer museum of rock and roll in Seattle (Experience Music Project) - an early Microsoft executive footed the bill. Not sure if Zappa owned it or not but the guitar is in a glass box in the middle of an isle (the whole 3rd floor is all Hendrix - Seattle is his hometown). If any rock fan is ever in downtown Seattle, expect to spend most of the afternoon checking it out because its definitely worth it

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Maybe I didn't read the posts well enough but I didn't see one Bass player. Well, untill now. I am self taught but I have played sax, flut, trombone, and even tried a frieking oboe once but that was a real pain to play, so I can read music and all. I have been beating on it for about 3 years now, it is hard to find people to play with so I usually just rock along to CD's to kill some time. I guess however the post asked who played guitar and I don't consider the bass a guitar as much as I consider it a bass. Make sense?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Savatage) with Alex Skolnick this past December, and they freakin' rocked!

I saw them too last year.......WOW!

someone I almost forgot about. Pat Travers!

I saw him during the late 70's and have liked him ever since. I have also always dug Frank Marino. Both have a lot of soul for white guys from Canada ;)

Honestly; I never saw that Clapton was that special. My loss.

I think Clapton has lost his fire over the years. Probably since Cream broke up. Try listening to his playing with John Mayall......very hot.

Funny, I felt the same way about Hendrix until I heard his live playing and some of the more obscure stuff. The Foxy Lady/Purple Haze stuff is far from his best playing.

Nobody has mentioned Knopfler.

I was a huge Dire Straits fan. Making Movies and Love Over Gold were his best work. Oh, and the one he did with Chet Atkins. Right up there with Vince Gill IMO.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I have been playing guitar for about 8 years and I would say that I am about average to novice. I own 3 electric, and 2 accustic guitars. I have an amp that my dad (mully) got for me for my birthday a few years ago. The guy that he said that does work on them built it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom