Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Should I be using a fork support when I haul my bike around in the back of the truck? I don't have tricked out, high dollar suspension, so is this really necessary? Will using one really prevent blowing out my fork seals? If this is the case, using it seems like cheap insurance. I searched the forums on this subject and found nothing. Any and all help is appreciated. (BTW, I'm referring to the plastic 'I' or yoke looking thing you put between the front wheel and the underside of the front fender when you strap down your bike for hauling.) Thanks.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I use the fork strut for the times when the bike is going to be tied down for a long period of time. There is no need to worry about blowing out your fork seals, if they could blow due to pressure, they would surely blow out when landing a jump. I think the real purpose behind the fork strut is to keep from compressing your springs to a point where they lose their strength prematurely. Another reason I use one is to offset the handle bar height when putting two bikes in the back of my truck, to prevent them from rubbing the grips off each other.

On the downside of using the fork strut, you really have to crank down on the tie down to get a good secure hold. My favorite thing about them is that the bike doesn't look like the front end is all sacked out when it's tied down. :)

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I use one too. Mine is homemade from a piece of PVC pipe. It's about as big around as a tennis ball and maybe 10-12 inches long. I don't find it difficult to get a tight fit, I leave the right side tie down the length I want it and tie it off, then I put the pipe in, lean the bike over and hook the left side tie down, and give it a good sharp tug. Between the knobbies on the tire and the pipe "biting" into the tire it holds very well. I agree that it keeps it from looking dorky from sagging the springs. I doubt the PVC would cost more than a couple of dollars and it is cheap insurance. I've never had to replace Fork Seals on my bike (knock on wood!) and it's two years old.

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
I use one so the springs aren't compressed and for stability, as I have seen the bikes front end bouncing and when you see the tie downs get slack whew I don't know about you but it makes me sweat. I made mine out of a shrink wrap tube (1/2" thk cardboard x 4" dia) cut to where I have about 3-4" of clearance to get the thing in. I crank it down until I see the tire start to flatten out under the tube and believe me my bike don't move, well except the rear suspension.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
RE:, slack in the tie downs. I've put a stop to that by running a bungee between the eye-hooks at each end of the tie down. So the strap is under constant tension.

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by 23jayhawk
RE:, slack in the tie downs. I've put a stop to that by running a bungee between the eye-hooks at each end of the tie down. So the strap is under constant tension.

Yeah, I've seen some out there that are made that way. I'm in the market for some additional tie downs and those might be in the cards.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I’ve read some posts in the suspension forum, by folks who know more than I do, that suggests that this is not really a problem.

Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
URBAN fork lore:
Tying your bike down over night or all week does not cause seal problems. The pressure inside a fork actually increases its tendency to seal. If you have a leak after doing this it’s from an imperfection (damage already done) and the extra internal pressure is just helping push oil out.
Bleeding your forks is a good idea for good performance, but has little to do with the seal’s life. If you fail to do this and notice a leak, it’s from the same root cause as the bike being tided down myth of above.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48596&highlight=truck

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56287&highlight=blow

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Using a fork brace will help to keep the bike from moving or swaying when you are turning or braking in your truck. I feel that using one allows you to actually cinch your bike tie downs more.

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Sooooo....
Not using a fork brace or support won't hurt a thing. True?
But using one is a good idea. True? Now I'm corn-fused...

Can everyone agree that using one is a good idea? The waters get muddied real easy don't they? But seriously, thanks for the replies thus far.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
It's basically a flip of the coin. I've had no problems either way.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I don't trust them old style tie downs. I have had them slip through the buckle a few times due to being wet/oily, and ruined the gas tank! Not fun...

So now I use Romex wire, 12 or 14-2 gauge. I am an electrician so I get it free, but I think it is cheap enough anyhow. Not more than 30 bucks for 100 ft I think....

Stuff is so strong andI just feel safer with it. :) Sure others have mocked me, but it works!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i think use one, y.....same as already said.if u hit a bump the forks compress ,slack, then the hook can slip out(i use those tethers on the bars and hook the tether w the ratchet strap).seems to stablize the bike better.and well maybe it don't help but it can't hurt so i say good idea.jmo btw i took a piece of 1 by... pine out of the scrap pile in a new house i was workin in,made a T .hasn't fallen out yet

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I haul my bikes in a trailer and tie them in with the standard tie down straps. The modifications I made are... I removed all the "S" hooks on the tie downs and replaced with caribeaner style device. I anchor those to eye bolts in the trailer, and use the soft straps around the handle bars. With this set up no hooks, or straps can become detached from the bars or the trailer. So even if something did loosen up the bike may fall over, but will not fall out. I use a channel at the front of the trailer to keep the front tires from moving about. When I tighten down the straps I barely place the forks under tension. I have never had a bike come loose or shift around during transport. I do not worry about the "fork support" as has been said here already the seals should not care if the forks are compressed, but I do not leave my bikes tied in for extended periods of time (days, weeks) just to avoid any possible weakening of the fork springs.
Lew

Kenya-640

Sep 17, 2002
I'll never use a fork support, out here on our rough roads I've seen too many bikes fall out of the back of a pickup or off of a trailer. Seems to me that you just can't tie a bike down as well with one of those things. Fork springs are a lot cheaper than repairing the damage done by your bike by falling out of the back of a pickup. I also loosen up the tie downs as soon as I get to where I'm going.
By the way, I also have to tie down and compress the reas suspension to keep the beast in the back of the truck.
I gess differant things work for differant people and places. I just hope no one looses a bike....it's ugly!

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I use one made from scrap 2x4 screwed together into a 4x4 .. I cut the pieces at a slight angle so it bites a V into the tire. I think it is more stable and I can crank it tighter. I had a bike fall over in my Pick-up before a heavy XL600!! Thats why I do it this way now.

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
No fork supports used here. We take an old bicycle tube, flatten it, and cut 1/2" thick "rubber bands" out of it (Not length wise, cut it like your cutting sausage). We then use one of these per tie down hook where they grab the bars. You wrap it around the hook and pull it back through itself, this will leave a loop that you can then pull and wrap around the end of the hook. WORKS GREAT!!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Don't use them. One more piece of junk to carry. I also don't think you have to compress the forks to death to hold the bike in place. I use Ancra tie downs and toss them when they become frayed (about every 3 or 4 years). Never had a problem. I do tie a knot in the end after securing just in case of bukcle failure.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom