gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Was gettin things together to deep fry the bird, and I have some sort of a marinade, and thought some body else might have a better one than me. So lets hear it? :cool:

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
We fry a turkey every year. I just rub the bird down with tabasco sauce, then salt and pepper, shake on a lot of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and drop in peanut oil. I know a lot of people like to inject them, but the turkeys come out so tender and juicy that I never felt the need to.

You might try this recipe from the Tony's site: Tony Chachere's Deep Fried Turkey

We're heading to south Louisiana Wednesday night to the wife's crazy coon-ass aunt for turkey day. I'm starving myself from now til then cause I know she'll put a hurtin on me! :laugh:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Deep fried turkey? What time you want us to show up?
:laugh:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Rooster said:
Deep fried turkey? What time you want us to show up?
:laugh:

Yeah, what time is right...we won't be too far away! :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I hope to fry one this year. The wimmen folk are being lazy bums and we're going out to a restaurant for T-day. <GASP!!!> So if I want a fridge full of leftovers, it's up to me to make them.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
bruce& Sam, we are also doing a t-day in a bag thusday afternoon. I got 2 feasts I gotta do!! i waitin to hear what other people are {puttin in} their birds for marinade injections.............

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I would like to try a Deep Fried Bird, we use one of those oven bags. We suck at cooking, but so far out of those oven bags is the best darn bird I have ever had. :cool:
Don't use any seasoning, I just like some good Gravy and Black Pepper!!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
My brother and I started frying Turkey 4 years ago when he moved to New Orleans. (That's where I am now.) The above is a good recomendation for prepairing your bird to be fried. Injecting is a personal preference. Another thing that we've experiment with is garlic. My bro cuts up who garlic cloves into little small pieces and then we slit the skin and slip them into the bird.

Here's a few suggestions.
1. Make sure your bird is as close to room temp as you can get it before you drop it in the fryer
2. do the best you can to estimate the correct amount of peanut oil. Too little and you will have to add oil and that messes up your temps, too much and you have hot oil overflowing onto an open flame.
3. Which leads me to this suggestion, place your turkey fryer somewhere where you don't care about the mess. Probably out in your driveway is good.
4. Temp is key. Your oil temp will drop immediately when you add the bird. I suggest getting your temp up to about 375-380 before you put the bird in. Your goal is to cook 3 min. per pound with the temp never below 350. 350 to 360 is good. You will have to make small adjustments to the flame in order to maintain this temp reading on your thermometer.

As long as you cook it and don't burn down the house, your doing good.
Enjoy! :)

BTW, everyone in my family now owns a turkey frying set up and we fry the turkey for both thanksgiving and Christmas. a crispy 15 pound bird in 45 minutes is hard to beat. no more of that overnight cooking crap.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've fried birds for Thanksgiving at home and the office (and Dirt Week several years) for a lot of years. Never found a need to inject anything as it always comes out soooo juicy. I rub some fresh ground salt & pepper inside and out then SLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWLLLLYYY drop it in the oil close to 380 because it will easily drop 25 degrees by the time the lid is on. Let it sit about 15-20 minutes after you pull it out and it will be cool enough to cut and juicy throughout. :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I fill the pot with oil while the turkey is in it and then remove the turkey and wipe the oil off. This gives me a perfect oil level. I've been told via foodnetwork that injections just squirt out when the turkey hits the hot oil so use a rub right before or a marinade the day before. Make sure that you dry the turkey well before putting it in the pot as water will make a big expansion in the oil, can you say fire bomb, lower it into the oil slowly for the same reason and observe the max fill directions/mark. Don't do it on the deck or paved driveway unless you like oil spatters. I usually put a 1/2 of sheet of plywood on the grass.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
All are good points about frying a turkey. these things i already knew, I have been frying them for a few years. I just wanted other Ideas about different injection recipes.............
I just wanted to surprise the table this year with something different.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Oh...a WISE guy :nener: :)
Happy fried turkey day!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
We'll be trying "Chef Williams Cajun Injector Marinade Kit"
includes: creole garlic, creole butter, teriyaki and honey, roasted garlic and herb recipes. Not sure which one we'll use but I've been eye'n up the kit for a couple days now! I think we got it at Sams Club but not positive.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
gnarlykaw said:
All are good points about frying a turkey. these things i already knew, I have been frying them for a few years. I just wanted other Ideas about different injection recipes.............
I just wanted to surprise the table this year with something different.

Rick:

We should do one for an evening gathering at Reno and follow it up with a nice game of flaming soccer instead of retiring to town.

I could throw my kit of stuff in my trailer. I have yet to try cooking one, so I would have to depend on your expertise. Think about it ... moto slushies and fried bird. My friend, that would be living.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The coonass fried turkeys are good, but until you have had a turducken you don't know what good eating is.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Coonass fried turkeys? Is being so close to the equator messing up your head man?

I ran out after reading this thread... let's see, pot, oil and turkey = $100. Think I'll save-up for next year, lol.

I have experienced the king's bird at DirtWeek (OffRoadr's bird at DW 2000) and Patman's at DW 02 (I think it was 02?)... that is the way a turkey should be cooked right there.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Okie everybody knows that a coonass from Lousiana started the whole fried turkey craze. Once you eat a fried turkey you will throw rocks at turkey cooked anyother way. As Huey P. Long once said "the further away from New Orleans you get the worse the food gets."

mhr650

Jun 29, 2004
good tip

I just bought a kit for this year and it included a video. Most of the info I already knew and was obvious, but one tip really was valuable. If you are going to do any rub or injecting pull up the skin and rub directly on the meat, and do your injecting into the meat covering it back with the skin. That keeps your rub from burning off in the oil and your marinate from leaking back out through the holes in the skin. Also if possible do your rub and injecting the night before to give the flavors more time to soak in.

Mike

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
GK you want a secret?
The perfect compliment to some fried turkey is some Fischer Wieser Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. Now that Mister is some good stuff.

Secret to under the skin rubs & injection is to use small stainless skewers or pins to hold the skin tight so it doesn't come loose and burn of let the meat get fried on the outside and full of oil. :cool:

Okie, I believe that Offbeater made the '00 bird, me and Gomer made a couple in '01 and then I did both in '02 when Gomer decided to pile drive himself into the jump. We used 2 bottles of the rasberry sauce in '01 & '02 and needed more :)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
OH MY GAWD!! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: Dit this bird turn out or what!!! I used a creole seasoning, by tony Chachere's site, and MAN! this bird is awesome! It does not boil out in the oil, like some thought, it just "pocckets" inside, between the layers of meat. some of the seasoning is HOT, :eek: and some of the bird has a tinge :laugh: .................
I CAN'T WAIT! :aj:

Top Bottom