Why a 4 stroke for Trail Riding?

I don't know, but me personally.I have never had a problem mixing my gas at all.I guess some folks just like things easy like elect start, no waay i'm giving up all that weight, I have absolutly no problem kicking my bike.

I think I will take a weight penalty for that little black button on the KTM 520. My 426YZs flame outs, although rare, would still iritate me, and I would have to do the old button routine. By the time I would get it started, I would loose time and be frustrated. I realize that your not supposed to flame out, but it does happen and with that little button, no more frustration!!! My 02.:cool:

Smooth delivery as stated above,and you usually have less upkeep and can ride further on a tank of fuel.:cool:

I have a WR 250 and am picking up #2 at the dealer tommorrow. This bike is awesome for tight trail riding and open country riding right out of the box. It is smooth, plenty of power, and suspension is great. We are replacing a KLX 300 and a KDX 200 with the yamaha's. I have had the WR about 3 months and so far it has been great.

The new 4 stroke technology is pretty amazing. With the 426 and the 450 the lines have become blurred. You can ride woods and desert with the same bikes. I see a 450 playbike in a couple of years. Maybe the XR lineup will change?

One thing is for sure. If you are buying a bike for offroading, get one with a headlight. I can't tell you how many times I have ridden late at night in the desert or woods. Sure beats a sunburn.

KDK:cool:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
Originally posted by Mickey Fickey
the feel and "hyper" acceleration and light weight,
You obviously havnt ridden a SX520 yet

I have found what I like and I'm not going to change that because of some bureaucrat.
If you really believe that this is the reason for millions of people, and dollars in 4stroke technology and sales, you need to find a clue.

There is no cut and dry here, variables such as; EXC & GG 300's can seem very "four stroke like" in the woods, and YZF's and RFS's can seem very "two stroke like" on the track.

Last edited:

weimedog

Damn Yankees
I find the big four stroke, for lack of a better word..relaxing to ride in the trails. Smooth power everywhere. Understand that the two strokes I have owned were more fun for me when I was younger. I used to like that burst to pop over stuff..double whoops out in the woods...to fan the clutch out of corners for no particular reason. Used to find that the two strokes would make me ride with aggression..hunting for the power..craving that burst of power. Also since they were light it was easy to toss them around.

Now that I'm not very aggressive, the easy power of a light weight large bore four stroke lets me keep the kids in the cross hairs. Without having to work as hard. The only thing I miss is that explosive burst once in a while. I have always been a throttle response junkie. I find I can ride the big thumper all day without arm pump. Never was able to ride ANY thing as long as I can this bike I now have. Just easy to go fast for a long period of time. I also find it can tractor up slick hills better than any two stroke I ever rode. For some reason it really hooks up. Can also crawl up over rocks where with my two strokes I had to crash up and over them. ( BIG rocks) The power band is so wide that in the tricky stuff I can run the thing just off idle..and when I want to GO...just twist the go handle and it smoothly takes off. No bog. No hesitation.. just smooth power. I hear similar things from those like myself riding big bore four strokes reguardless of brand.:)

my friends insist on mx bikes in the woods ( one has a kdx and me and him could blow by everyone else) but they say they jump alot (they hit 1 jump a day)and our rides are cut down to about 2 hours

Because 2 strokes are dirty for the environment, they will one day be a thing of the past. It is my understanding that they are banned from California for non-racing use. Because racing promotes recreational sales, the manufacturers will be pushing 4 strokes for competition. I heard that the government is requiring Jet Ski manufactures to at least offer a 4-stroke model within a certain time period.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Lately I've been doing some trail riding and was amazed at the amount of 125's on the trail.I guess too each his own.:)

Last edited:

HiG4s

Subscriber
Originally posted by gulliver
Because 2 strokes are dirty for the environment, they will one day be a thing of the past. .. . .
Compared to say, all the diesel trucks on the road? I seems to me it's more about money than pollution.

Thumper-meister

There is another variable in the equation - you were riding at Croom in Central florida. In that terrain (lots of sand whoops and deep sugar sand) you are going to be better off with the light of the 2 stroke. That is why you see so many people in Florida on 2 strokes. The terrain here eliminates some of the benefits of the 4 stroke engine. That being the case, most motocross tracks here are hardpack and that is where you will see the 4 strokes (YZF and KTM) shine.