Why are T-handle wrenches so expensive?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by DougRoost
I'm not sure why all the dirtbike guys are so into T handles. Maybe one day I'll understand....

Because many of the factory wrench's use them. ;)

I bought a T-handle from Bob's Cycle a few years ago for about $8 so I could change out size sockets. But, after getting the T-handle and twisting off a few 6 and 8 mm bolts. Its one of the least used tools in my tool box! About the only time I use it is to maybe take off the seat bolts.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ive got three of these special screwwdrivers with 6, 8 and 10mm nut drivers on the end- any more leverage and my big hands will over tighten everything

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I too have been on the wrenching band wagon for a LONG time!
Fact is you will never know just how fast you can work untill you get your self a set of GOOD t-handles. I have even worn out the socket they came with, then I go to sears buy a new (insert size here) socket weld it on and good to go for the next 5-6 years!
If you buy them you will use them!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
My story is similar to Rich's ..except my favorite rachet is a 1/4 inch Snap On rachet with a 3/8 inch head. I got mine about 20~25 years ago when I was wrenching on dragsters and it really came in handy because it would fit into my hand and I used a sliding t or breaker bar to bust the nut loose and spun it off with the ratchet. I could swap it out without removing the extension and socket for the nut. I don't think Snap On even makes them any more (at least I couldn't find them in the on line catalog).

I have a set of T handles, but spend too much time untangling them from each other.

We could start a real debate about the best BRAND of wrenches :p

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
gwcrim- you're my hero. I was just reading through this thread and figured everyone of these guys must be paid by the hour. I've been working on cars for flat rate wages for twenty five or so years so the only tool I own that doesn't have an airhose coming out of it is my hammer. Oh wait, I've got one of those, too. Really, T-handles are useless on cars, so I've never had a use for them. I finally broke down and bought a set of Snap-On metric T handle Allens that I use all the time on my bikes, but even they aren't the ultimate weapon, as you can't access a lot of bolts with them, even on bikes. I have to laugh at the magazines pushing these $300 Makita cordless impacts. There is no way I could ever justify the money! :eek: Air is truly the only way to fly!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Okay, you guys brought up the other reason I don't use T handles -- air tools. Especially useful have been air impact guns for getting out bots -- even tiny ones -- that the previous owner didn't use anti-seize compound on. You know, like the ones that go into the brass nutserts in plastic gas tanks. But I'm not so hardcore that I bring a compressor with me out to the trails, so I kept wondering what was up with T handles since I noticed everyone in the dirt bike world using them.

I think Sawblade answered my question. Factory MX teams use them, so all the wannabes think they're a must. I can see having a compact set in a fanny pack on a long ride so I'll probably get something along those lines.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The only possible thing I can think that t handles beat sockets at is only if you drop a 1/4 "drive 6mm short socket in the rocks while out in a trail. The welded t handle is worlds easier to see..... but you will probebly still have to look for the bolt :eek:

I use a combination of the above ratchet with this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_...group_ID=130&store=snapon-store&dir=catalogis

for my extension. it is gives me the ultimate versatility in using the screwdrive handle a ratchet or the ratchet straightened out.

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Another handy item is the 6 sided adapter thing that fits in a drill chuck.  You can get them in sets for 1/4, 3/8, etc.

If I have a whole bunch of 8mm headed bolts to remove (top end job, etc.) I use my cordless drill with a socket.  It's probably no faster than T handle wrenches, but it's always fun to use any power tool! :yeehaw:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i wouldn't even get a set of t-handles for the trails, carrying one ratchet and a bunch of sockets makes more sense thena bunch of individual t-handles. especially when you can just toss your ratchets and sockets in the carrying case they came with.

Top Bottom