why buy aftermarket silencer?

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
why put an aftermarket silencer on a kdx? In the justkdx engine hop-up forum, installing an aftermarket silencer is one of the last recommended mods. Very small power increase and a little less weight. The stocker doesn't have any packing to plug up and have to replace. Just remove the drain plug and tap it. Why mess with the packing issue? Granted the aftermarket ones have a bling-bling factor :laugh: . Can anyone give good reasons from experience why to change to aftermarket and why its worth the trouble to replace the packing?

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
It sounds cool, mind you, as long as its not too loud. Mine has a spark arrestor in it too so the performance is very little to nill. My bike actually came with my knarly pipe and silencer but if you buy a new pipe, you almost have to get a new silencer to match it haha. But truthfully it really doesnt give you much at all, in fact the head pipe and torque ring I installed gave me the best performance in the low range that I would ever need...............peace

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The main reason for me is weight. I'm a light weight freak. I don't run lights, overflow tank, bark busters, etc. I run a 'Q' silencer...weight savings with nearly a stock sound level.

ABS13

Apr 15, 2004
The stocker is butt ugly! :laugh: Actually, my FMF PC2 came along as part of the deal when I bought a used rev pipe and e-line guard.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I think weight is the biggest factor. The stocker is pretty heavy. I left mine on. I figure when I run out of other things to buy, I'll look at the silencer.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
FWIW

My son's bike came with stock pipe and silencer as well as FMF pipe and silencer. I weighed both, and the combined pipe and silencer weight diff FMF vs stock was a 4 lbs weight savings. Not actually quite as much a savings as I thought it might be, but not insignificant either.

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
My friend's got plugged up. After every ride he would pull the plug and you wouldn't believe the spooge that would come out. The bike wasn't running like it should. Kind of like a car with a stopped up converter. Put a FMF PC on and she is sreaming again!!!! And won't have this trouble again.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
won't you have the same trouble when the packing becomes plugged? Also, I have read where there is an 8 pound difference between the complete stock and aftermarket exhaust systems. 5 lbs on the pipe and 3 on the silencer. I also agree that the stock silencer is butt :moon: ugly! :laugh:

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
that maybe true, but I'm one of those who may bother to check to see how much gas is in the tank before I ride. Just another thing to put on the "to do list"

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Does the stock unit have packing in it? I know it's not serviceable, but I was just wondering if it had fiberglass packing or if it used baffles to silence the sound.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
pipe

if only having a bling bling fancy pancy looking bike made the rider faster :laugh: :yeehaw:

too much bling not enough zingggggg......... :ride:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
In addition to the weight savings a Power Core II makes a very noticeable power increase. Who wouldn't want more power, something that looks and sounds cool and is quite inexpensive?

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I'm planning on putting a platinum 2 pipe on a kdx200 but which silencer should I use? the pro circuit 304 factory sound or the fmf powercore 2? I don't need a spark arrestor. Was plannig on fmf pipe but since fmf had a price increase, there's only $10 difference. Also heard about fit issues with fmf and plating quality.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
dirtpoor, I have both the -30 and -35 FMF pipes. They fit fine and the plating is good. I also have the FMF Turbine Core (1) silencer as well as the Q silencer. They both fit fine and are of high quality. The TC is quite loud while the Q is great in the sound department. I really couldn't tell any difference in the power between them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom