Why cant I sell my bike?

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
Hey guys,

I havent posted here in a while but here is my question. I have been trying to sell my bike for a good 1/2 year now. The price is right and the bike is in great condition. I have had many people over to look at it and the bike preformed great but I still cant sell it. My price is $200 below average and nothing. Its been in paper and online classifiedes. what do you think the problem is? Is it just bad enonomey or do people not buy used bikes like they use to?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i've had good luck with ebay on some used bikes. i know some people don't like it but i love it. i sold a bike for $300 more than i bought it for and it didn't even run anymore! maybe i just got lucky, but either way i'd say its worth a try. hope this helps.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
2000 CR250
$3900
Its in exelent condition. Everything is new. It wasent raced hard and it looks great. I cant figure it out!

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
maybe it's just me but that price seems a bit steep, at least for this area.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000

What kind of bike were you selling and was it before or after 9-11 ?

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
are you serious. I had was under the impression that it was a great deal. The bike has about 60 hours on it max so its not been ridden much at all.

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I have to agree with crkid around here you can find a slightly used 99 or 00 cr250 for around 3300 some maybe even cheaper.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I bought a 2000 kx 250. Loaded, Procircuit pipe, renthal, protapers,Ims tank and pegs. extra plastic and pipe and all the stock parts. It p[robaly has more time on it than yours but I paid a $1000 less.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
are yall serious? I have been out of riding for like a year. Could I post a pick and yall appraise the value?

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
crap, my floppy drive just broke and thats how I have to transfer digital camera pictures to my comp. I will post them tomorow first thing! Also where do you live? How much do bikes usually depriciate per year? I was under the impression of like 700-1500 per year depending on the CC's and on the condition.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
cr

I will sell my 01 cr 250 for 3500$ I bought it new in feb. of 01

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
i live in north Alabama and I really dont know how much they depriciate per year.I just opened up the cycle trader and the low for 00 is $3000 the high is around $3400.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
oh my, this is bad news! On traderonline It said I had mine for 300 below average! Since I dont have any pics at the moment what would you guess it would be valued at? I guess I will take out another paper add for like 3700 or so. What would yall think? I live in Austin, TX if that helps any. The high in my area was 5600 for a 00'CR250 and the low was 2000 or somthing. I think the market here is higher or somthing. My friends who continue to ride tell me its at a good price.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
How bad do you want to sell it?? If I wanted to sell it I'd drop the price to $3300. and be willing to take less.

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I don't know why there so low over here but if i was you i wouldnt drop it but a few hundred.I would think it would sell here in not to long beacuse riding season will be in in a few months.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hey Irish is good to see you came back, I hope you arn't leaving the sport?

To get a basic idea go to www.cycletrader.com and tupe in your model and see what they are going for.
Last resort you can go to ebay:think

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
well I had an add in cycle trader and It was within the price range of all the other bikes....

Canadian Rider - I am leaving the sport. I am selling the bike to get a new car. I can't drive this pos that I have now. Need somthing that will last.... I have considered ebay but it costs a lot ot put a reserve on an item that big and I wouldent want to sell it for only like 3k. My parrents are wanting me to get no less than 4k but its hard to make them understand that dirtbikes depreciate, they sure arnt going to like what yall have to say ;) Not that much difference but it would still be nice to have that much extra.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Irish - Just did a search on cycle trader and got a low of $2000 a high of $4300 so an average is around $3150

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
You've had this bike for sale for 6 months and have not sold it...........$3300 is the price to ask.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
A Valuable Lesson Here

You have learned a lesson here that is extremely valuable and that some people never understand. That is -- a thing is worth what someone will pay for it.

This goes for bikes, cars, homes -- even businesses. As a "dealmaker", I find it frustrating sometimes when a potential seller (sometimes my own client) believes that his item is "worth" a certain amount. Yes, there are rules of thumb that accountants and valuation experts use in every field to establish value/worth, but that is only a starting point. The real value/worth is found when the thing that is for sale comes to market. If it sells too fast, most times it was undervalued. If it sells too slow, then the price needs to come down. Period.

Good luck getting a fair amount for your bike. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tell ya' what. If you'll load it in my truck I'll give ya' $1,500. (if it was orange and said exc on it I'd be all over it.)

Don't bother with the local paper, you couldn't sell free money in it. Hit the TON site (texasoffroad.net) and see if it get's you much response.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…