MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It's just a bad time of year. Ask $3300 and see if you get any bites. Winter is the worst for selling bikes.

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
i am trying to sell my bike right now and i had three people look at it. they all said it was the cleanest and fastest bike they had looked at yet none of them gave me a second call. there is nothing you can do. when i talked to the owner of the shop down the road he told me that this is the time to buy but not to sell. kinda an oxymoron but its true. bikes are being sold very cheap right now but you cant find anyone to buy YOURS. if you go on kbb.com i would get the retail and trade-in values of the bike your selling and then average teh two. this should give you an accurate price to look to sell the bike for. i dont believe that kbb.com uses the time of year to determine the value of a bike. i am pretty sure they use the demand for certain bikes because my 1998 yz 125 was worth a little more trade-in than a 1998 cr 125.
i hope this is helpful.

btw the nadaguides are a little more accurate than the kbb values.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Pit_Monkey
[Bt this is the time to buy but not to sell. kinda an oxymoron but its true. bikes are being sold very cheap right now [/B]

Thats the very reason I bought the second bike. Paid 2900 for a loaded out 2000.:) :)

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
ok guys, Just got my new floppy up so here are the pictures:

(Tired to help the bandwidth impaired here)

I just took them today and it was too cold to go outside so....

Tell me what you think its worth, please. What is a good asking price ?

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
Originally posted by KTMdude911
That bike looks perfect!!I would drop it $300 and still be slightly negotiable.I hope everything works out.

Thanks for the support. I put a lot of pride in the way my bike looks ;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I will say it is slicker than my 2000 that I just bought. I did buy a 2000 9 months ago that looked new, NOTHING wrong with it. I paid 4000 for it. Like I said it was basically new, no miles. And that was last spring. I still think you'll be able to 3300 for it pretty quick, you might get 3500 if you wait till winter is over. What does a NEW one cost 5200??

It is sharp, makes me wanta buy new plastic for mine.;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sorry to say but a local dealer still has an 2001 KX 250 for $4200.

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
I know it is hard to sell a bike in austin live there. Just most people around here are not looking for that $$$ of a bike. I had a old rm that sold really quick. You may want to also try to put it on the news group austin.forsale. and also do what pat said at TON.

Buellwinkle

Jul 2, 2001
I've sold 3 dirt bikes always before the weekend the ad came out in the local autotrader. We don't have a winter and actually this is the best time to go because it's 65-75 in the desert and 2 strokes are only legal in the winter in CA. Street bikes on the other hand have taken me forever. It took me 6 months to sell my Harley Sporster and 5 months to sell my Buell. To show you how good the price was, I was asking 6,500 for a bike that was all over the cycle trader for between 7,500 and 8,500 but I wanted a fast sale. If someone comes to look at the bike close the deal no matter what. Don't let the guy go home and think about it. The first rule in sales is always be closing the deal. If your parents think that $3,000 is too low then take your bike to a dealer and ask them what they'll give you for it. You would be lucky to get half of the lowest price you can imagine.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
a buddy of mine just bought a '00 cr250 two weeks ago for 2700. the guy that had it broke his pelvis at budds creek. It's not as cleas as yours ( he hasn't touched it since the wreck). the only thing it needs though is a new set of bars.

oldx

Apr 9, 2001
Advertize that sucker for 3500 and if you have to come down to 3300 to make the sell. If the guy looking is the same size as you offer to throw in some riding gear to make the sale.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
If I were you, I'd put that bike on ebay. Start at a low price, say $2500, maybe even set a reserve. The bids will come in and it will get sold eventually.:D

-dejacky

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
ebay

What do you mean it costs alot to put a reserve on it? It will cost you $25 to list it. The last time I sold a bike putting a reserve on it only cost $1. Then another $25 if it sells. Your total cost $51.00.

One thing though is that the buyer is going to have to pay shipping so that will detract a potential buyer. Also, you must be willing to help the buyer as much as possible by maybe crating it for free,etc. If you make it easy for the buyer, the better chance you have of selling it. The bad part is that if you sell it for $3300 then the buyer will end up spending possibly $200 for shipping making his cost $3500. The CR250s are in no short supply and I'm sure that many are available all over the country, so the chances of selling it for top dollar aren't that great.

Keep dropping the price until it sells, otherwise you'll still have it in another 6 months. Just as Longtime said...............

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
That is truely a beautiful bike! I just bought an 01' for $3200.00 from a DRN member( blue book around $4900.00 ), but it was very much stock. Your bike is extremely clean, with lots of new and upgraded parts. If it were me, I'd lower the price to $3600.00 and stand firm for a while. Around the holidays is a bad time to sell, I know because I'm trying to sell a RM 125. Your bike is very nice, good luck.

Nov 11, 2001
i think that that is a very very clean bike and it would sell for that at the very beginning of the season as soon as the snow melts

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Be preparred to take a hit, my 2000 DRZ was stolen, had many extras, I lost $1200 on the settlement. Dirt bikes tend to lose value until they hit the $1000-$1500 mark. Ask $3500 OBO, and take it from there.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I'd have to agree with 9110911, hold out a bit longer. I was trying to sell my 96 CR125 about six months ago for about $1900 and not one person even looked at it even though that price was about average for my bike. I put it back in the paper last saturday and had five phone calls that day. Four people came to look in the last few days. One guy walked into the shed looked at the bike and offered me about $1750 without as much as starting it:silly: ! Sold it last night for about $1800 which I was happy with considering I bought it two years ago for $1600. The season is starting here now so there is a mad rush for bikes.
Give yours a month or two, it isn't really going to loose any value in that time anyway. If I lived in the US and people actually raced 250s over here I would buy it because it looks in AMAZING condition compared to what you see over here.

Just my two cent...(We're on Euros here now so I can say cent, although it's not cents for some reason:silly: )

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Location Location Location

hey what's up guys, I swear location is everything in the price of used dirtbikes, here in Southern California the prices of bikes is super high compared to the prices on the east coast, straight form cycle trader= 99 Yz 250 (california)----3900.00 Virginia= 99 Yz 250--- 3000.00
both were in the same condition,vet owned and well taken care of, this isn't just one example this is a sample of how it normally looks. So you have to gauge your price on where you are, yeah in CA you have to save more but you can sell for more too, take it easy guys
Jeff

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
mike, your scoot looks great, but i think you are battling a couple of things here in texas. first, there's the four-stroke revolution. now that honda has entered, it's even tougher to dump a 2-smoke. as somebody said, it's also a tough time of year. more that that however, is the fact that the market in texas is pretty saturated. used pickups are the same way. you just have to be patient and make sure to do a run-til-sold ad!

wp.

Top Bottom