Why do people remove the air box lid on the 87-93kdx 200's????????????????????

tomcat

Dec 2, 2002
I am just wondering why do people remove the air box lid on the kdx's? I own one should I take my lid of or not? I have a uni-filter on it.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
The reason for removal is simple...improving airflow.  Bike breathes better, it gives more power.

Definitely remove it...the change will be obvious.   You can mount your CDI on the rear fender with a bolt and nut...use loctite on it and you're good to go.

Also, check out  this link for KDX Tech Tips http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/tech_tips.html for all the info you need to wake up your scoot.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I just cut the inside of the lid away removing everything but the 'rim' and the area holding the RECTIFIER(this is not a CDI) :) This way there is no need to 'rig it.

Cheers...

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Can't you also drill holes to improve ariflow? :think:

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
you can drill holes but i found the best performance was to remove it altogether.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Does the removal of the air box lid lean out the bike or make it run richer? Seems mine runs a little richer, is it my imagination?

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
It sould allow more air which would theoretically make it leaner causing you to need to rejet a little richer. That is the idea anyways and I doubt it made your bike run richer.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I found a 3-step difference in main jet between stock and modified cover.

If you were jetted 'right on' with the stock cover (well, this never truly occured because the vacuum in the airbox made the jetting rpm-dependant), one best change jets to stock baseline or CD's recommendation on JustKDX and resume the jetting process from the beginning after modifying the airbox.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…