Why do you change trans oil so often??

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
I understand that transmision oil should be changed pretty often, and im not arguing with that, but why does it need to be changed so often? What will happen if I slack off and go too many hours between changes?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
You will need an engine rebuild.
The trans oil not only lubes many working parts it also acts as a reservoir for all the odds and ends that wear off the inner working parts. These odds and ends eventually go back to the moving parts where they came from now acting as tiny little grinding wheels making more odds and ends. The cycle continues until you drain the old oil away and put in new- then it all starts over from the beginning.
Changing oil frequently (when combined with other regular maintenance) is a form of cheap insurance to prolong engine life

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
Change it often because it loads up with crap from the clutch in VERY short order.

That's one reason why I change mine .. the clutch starts acting "sticky" when the oil gets loaded with those particles. Clean oil gets it working nice again.

96 YZ 125

Jan 10, 2007
i learned the hard way to change my oil every ride, especially wen im ridin hard. i had my output seal and bearing fry from lack of lube. so if u wanna avoid that price id just change it after every other ride.

Top Bottom