sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
okay so i got the xr100 runing over the weekend, ran good for the first hour/hour&half then it starts to burn oil again! New carb, new rings,piston,gaskets,seals,spark plug, and it was bored out. i replaced the rings twice, both have less then 4 hours of use on them and then oil starts getting past the rings in the exact same spot in the cylinder at about the same amount of time on them. it's not the valve guides, it's definatly the cylinder. I think the people who bored it out for me screwed it up some how. Im getting sick of this bike :bang: . could this just be part of the break in process? bike hasn't been broken in yet, but ive been following all steps in manual. It says i shouldnt exceed 1/3 of throttle at any time and riding at a constant speed no matter how fast or slow is to be avoided for first 1,500 miles of breaken, WHAT? :think: is this right? any help apprieciated

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
1: Did re-install between the head and cylinder the 2 dowel pin and there should be two between the cylinder and crankcase? they are oil passages which gose up to head to lube the cam and valve.

2: Did you have head and cylinder check for warpage and re-surfaced?.

3: It very possable that your cylinder sleeve has a hair line crack and main cylinder body to which it is allowing the oil pass thur the crack and if it is a steel sleeve have it magnafluxing as for aluminium have to done with penetrating dye but best way to do it is pressure test becuase technique will reveal there a crack that are below the surface or that are hidden inside a casting. The best of the best method of crack detection is Ultrasonic Testing but this cost an arm & leg.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
a new cylinder for an XR100 can't be all that expensive, can it?

Looks like MSRP is 150 bucks. I bet you could get a swingin' deal from Service Honda.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
SHSPVR said:
1: Did re-install between the head and cylinder the 2 dowel pin and there should be two between the cylinder and crankcase? they are oil passages which gose up to head to lube the cam and valve.

2: Did you have head and cylinder check for warpage and re-surfaced?.

3: It very possable that your cylinder sleeve has a hair line crack and main cylinder body to which is allowing the oil pass thur the crack and if it a steel sleeve have it magnafluxing as for aluminium have done with penetrating dye but best way to do it pressure test becuase technique will reveal there a crack that are below the surface or that are hidden inside a casting. The best of the best method of crack detection is Ultrasonic Testing but this cost an arm & leg.
Do always speak like caveman?

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
well, just like the carb i might have to use a used cylinder off a newer xr100, they look the exact same and ill have bored out to .50 over like mine. But will this work? my bike is just an xr100 but all newer xr100s are xr100r's.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I don't know if a new cylinder will work or not. There are sometimes differences in head design. I suspect it will, but you may have to use a piston with the correct height for the head design of the year cylinder you use. My question to you is why in the world would you want to take a brand new cylinder and bore it out??? I hope you wouldn't do that just to avoid buying a new piston.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
No, i am not buying a new cylinder, i will be buying a used one off ebay, but the one i was looking at has small scores in the walls so ill have to bore it out.

Top Bottom