Kolias89

Oct 29, 2010
Hi Guys

I would like to get your opinions about something that happend on my Brothers Kawasaki...

The bike is a KX250F 2006 model...
Here is the "problem":

He just took the bike off from a mechanic shop that he changed the piston rings and valve seals nothing else...

As he took it, my brother and his friend make a service (oil, oil filter etc) BUT his friend put the oil filter upside down which made the engine dry from oil! He only start the bike ond rode it for 500 meters and as he pulled the clutch the bike stalled and the kickstarter stuck....
We let the bike to be cool and after that the kickstarter worked again!!
First thing we did was to check the oil filter as i told them and then we noticed what his friend had done!

After that i added a new one correct and i check the cylinder head and i saw some iron filings at the back of the front camshaft!

Then we start the bike and the bike worked perfect with no issues...after 3-4 hours of use i replace again the oil filter and i saw that there wasn't any iron filings on it...

Now the bike have 8 hours of use and i can't notice anything wrong with it!!

Can someone please tell me if there is a risk of getting some damage after 8 hours use...??
I just want your first thoughts!

PS: we only Enduro riding we don't race!!

Thanks

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
The damage is done when the motor stopped and the kick start was stuck. At that point something was siezed and by your description it sounds like the exhaust cam has had a mild siezure into the head. once the head and cam have cooled down they have gained enough clearance to turn. You probably can't make the bike worse since you have already done 8 hours riding but there will be damage and at the next maintanance strip down you will get a bigger bill than last time, or the damage may get worse and tie up again, your gamble from here.
From my experience the piston to cylinder is the first to sieze, if that has happened you will notice oil usage or low compression or engine noise as piston material will most likely be semi welded to the cylinder

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom