thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
i was wondering what everyone thought the reason that most people out there that race motocross use 4-stroke engines instead of 2-stroke engines like they used to??

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Its where all the new technology is going. The only ones still putting R&D into their 2-strokes I "believe" is KTM. I personally have had a thumper in already and do not plan to go back.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Also many prefer the new fourstrokes for their awsome tractability and more useable power through out the powerband.

Jan 3, 2007
Most people ride 4 strokes because it take less effort to ride on a track. A 125 2 stroke you cant fall off the pipe in the corrners where as a 250F can just chug through it. With a 250 2 stroke you need to come out of the corrners hard in tighter situations where as a 450F can just ride it at a slower pace an then wack the throttle and clear a double without much effort.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2 strokes for life said:
Most people ride 4 strokes because it take less effort to ride on a track. A 125 2 stroke you cant fall off the pipe in the corrners where as a 250F can just chug through it. With a 250 2 stroke you need to come out of the corrners hard in tighter situations where as a 450F can just ride it at a slower pace an then wack the throttle and clear a double without much effort.

... and once again you prove you have no clue what you are talking about.

Shouldn't you be out searching for a piston for one of your 30 year old POS bikes? :rotfl:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:

Shouldn't you be out searching for a piston for one of your 30 year old POS bikes? :rotfl:

Or in school... :whoa:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
resume:
high school student
knower of all things dirt bike

:p :p

Chris Long

Jan 17, 2005
Becasue they want the SX/MX pro riders to race what the mfg's need to sell. Stronger emission and EPA regulations are killing 2 smokes so the big 5 mfg's are going to put all their R&D to where the market needs to go, and thats why all the guys race 4 strokes. Yeah the valve and cam thumpers are better in allot of ways, but thats not the only reason why thats all you see on a supercross track. Its becasue the mfg's need the market to start going all 4 stroke.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Chris Long said:
Becasue they want the SX/MX pro riders to race what the mfg's need to sell. Stronger emission and EPA regulations are killing 2 smokes so the big 5 mfg's are going to put all their R&D to where the market needs to go, and thats why all the guys race 4 strokes. Yeah the valve and cam thumpers are better in allot of ways, but thats not the only reason why thats all you see on a supercross track. Its becasue the mfg's need the market to start going all 4 stroke.
BUZZZ !!!!!!

Sorry, wrong answer, (again.)

Next guess?

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
If anybody thinks it has anything to do with something OTHER than money, think again. Its a business and the sole reason for ANY business to exist, is to make a profit (ROI) for its stockholders. Sorry if that shatter's anyone's dreams of 'its for the greater good'. :laugh:

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
yeah 450s sell for more than 2strokes but it takes more to make a 4stroke BUT when they break they break good also with all the money they dumped in on R&D these past years theirs no way they could give that up. pros use them so amateurs do to. displacement advantage is great. the 250f has twice the displacement as a 125
125-250=125 250-450=200 amazing hu?

of course we all have personal opinions on what we think about each mine not being against 4strokes really just their displacement advantage at the time when dowd raced the technology was like like pitting a freshman(400) against a senior(250). but the catch was the senior had to stay a senior and now the freshman has passed and moved to collage. the 4stroke wasn't new to motorcycles but new in professional motocross. new is cool and cool sells. once again my opinion so flame if its not yours

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
IndyMX said:
I just think the sound cool!

Wow, you think those things sound better than a 2 stroke? 2 strokes are sexy and everything good. 4 strokes sound like my riding mower hitting the rev limiter. :nener:

Jan 3, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:

Yep, sure going to hang myself. By the way, everyone has an opinion and i was simply expresing my thoughts. Plus, i ride POS bikes because i cant do any better. Thats all i can afford working and going to school at the same time. Just because my parrents dont wipe my @ss, clean my room, make my lunches, and buy my things does not mean i need to stand for reading your replys that make fun of my only fun activity i can thoroughly enjoy no matter what happens. :(

IndyMX said:
Or in school...

If you would have noticed my location, you would have seen that i am 2 hours behind DRN time.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2 strokes for life said:
Yep, sure going to hang myself. By the way, everyone has an opinion and i was simply expresing my thoughts. Plus, i ride POS bikes because i cant do any better. Thats all i can afford working and going to school at the same time. Just because my parrents dont wipe my @ss, clean my room, make my lunches, and buy my things does not mean i need to stand for reading your replys that make fun of my only fun activity i can thoroughly enjoy no matter what happens. :(

If you would have noticed my location, you would have seen that i am 2 hours behind DRN time.

If you hadn't noticed, we tend to make fun of a lot of people for a lot of things. You're no different. Grow some thicker skin.

And, yes, I had noticed you were in Canada somewhere, but I'm not current on Canadian Geography, and haven't memorized where cities are located, and frankly don't give a damn. All I know for sure is that in the middle of the day, you post. It seems reasonable to me that a person your age should be in school at the times you tend to post. And to be honest, by the spelling and grammar you use, I'm really not sure if you are paying much attention while you are in school. :yikes:

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Damn boys, why don't we all calm down here, This is dirt bike discussion not a bicker festing forum. Don't take things seriously here. Peronally I'm not against either 2 or four stroke cuz they're both different and fun to ride in their own ways. I would probably have a 250f if I could afford it easier b/c I rode one and it was sweet, but i'm happy riding my 125 and working on it since it's easier and cheaper to do.I'm sure money is part of the situation with new four - strokes but also I think it alows the riders to ride faster and harder is what it seems like to me.

Dec 8, 2007
I thought everyone switched cuz the AMA changed the racing rules to allow 450 and 250 fours to race against 250 and 125 twos respectively, then people discovered the fours were faster. Is that not true?

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
ignition retard said:
I thought everyone switched cuz the AMA changed the racing rules to allow 450 and 250 fours to race against 250 and 125 twos respectively, then people discovered the fours were faster. Is that not true?

that was the big push 4strokes where around for awhile but yamaha came out with the yz400 first race it was in it won. Once they relized that the AMA was gonna allow such a huge gap in displacment they did what anyone would they took it and ran. and pushed the 4stroke far beyond what it was back then and proably farther then the AMA had invisoned it could have gone or a smaller displacment would have been chosen.

once again I wasnt thier I didnt pull the pin on this so iyts really all speculation

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
I definitely disagree with rich ronrich
There is some truth to what 2-strokes 4 life said.
I would not have set it the way he did, but anyone who has ridden both bikes knows that you can get away with being somewhat lazier on a 4-stroke.

Just because it comes out from a lower class 15 year olds mouth doesn't automatically make it in invalid.

And if I were a moderator I wouldn't be taking snobish stabs at people on my message board.
But you shouldn't get mad at this post should you? Don't be so thin skinned...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ericz103 said:
I definitely disagree with rich ronrich

If anyone by that name ever joins DRN we'll be sure to let him know.:coocoo:

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
back to the inital question for a moment... in my opinion the reason(s) more people are racing 4stroke bikes is because a lot of people find they can ride faster on a 4 stroke than on a 2 stroke. this has a lot to do with the linear power delivery that a 4 stroke engine tends to make, compared to the sudden rush of power a 2 stroke engine provides.
Also nearly all major manufactures are putting focus on making 4 stroke engines these days due partly to consumer demand and partly to 2 stroke engines being seen as enviromently "dirty".
The main downsides to 4 stroke mx bikes however seem to be much larger repair/maintenance costs, and louder exhaust noise (which many would argue is also a form of pollution...)
my 2 cents.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
eh you got me there rich rohrich...

anywho. I'm putting my 2cents in with steve emma's.

You guys think that manufacturers knew 4 strokes were going to get where they did with some time, or they put more more money into them because of pressures to have cleaner emissions???

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
To me it comes down to this:

Some people parrot what they read in the magazines or online, and others know things from actual experience.
Some know things from research or experiments that comes from being around bikes or in the industry for many years, not just a couple.

In other words;
Someone in this thread needs a cracker.......................

Mully

Last edited:
Top Bottom