Why the bad rep?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I had a buddy, big bruiser of a guy, real Ozzy wanker. When I offered him a ride on my new DRZ he just about cursed me to the lowest, like I was offering him gruel or something. Not only that, I offered to teach him, and not to worry about damages if he fell. He looked at me as if I had insulted him. Sometimes you just can't win :(

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
This thread has turned interesting.

I offered to trade an old GS450 for an old John Deere mower. The guy just laughed. He said he had no interest in motorcycles.

How on earth could somone NOT like motorcycles? How could a parent NOT want their children to learn to ride with them? I just don't get it!

Must be an Islamist/Communist/Tree Hugger thing. :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
It would be interesting to hear the general public's HONEST opinions about how risky drug use is... seeing as how it's the most popular hobby in the US. :|

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You should see the looks I get when someone asks me what I ride and I say Gas Gas. Then there's the looks they give me when I tell them that I go ice racing in the winter.

The way I look at it, if I have to explain why I ride/race to someone, they won't understand... that includes my wife.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by WoodsRider
You should see the looks I get when someone asks me what I ride and I say Gas Gas...
Bill, Bill, Bill, even your friend (note it's not plural :p) looks at you funny when you say that :debil:

Last edited:

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
Bill,
Let em' laugh I don't own one,but have ridden a couple,and they were beautifully made and performing bikes.
The company should have bought the rights to call them Bultacos !
Doug

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
RJ-KDX ,
Good post,and well written.
I was reading an interview with Mario Andretti.Of course,younger bodies are best for MX,but he described the progression lots of amateurs and pros experience.

First,great reflexes,great body.Then reflexes and body lose the edge,but drivers/riders compensate with knowledge and experience.

Then,the rider/driver starts to worry about things like mortgage,kids,spouse,etc.,and although still very capable they just don't have the desire to push the envelope that they used too.Which is one reason it's the younger guys who are most into the jumps,the (gag) "extreme" life-style,etc.

All the skill and experience just doesn't go away,watch Mario at LeMans,Burleson,Rick Johnson,and Dick Mann just playing and lots of others.It gives hope for fun in the future ! Doug

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I am in my thirties, and have 5 children, and I ride.
not alot of people care much about it. some ask me questions, my Dad says I should give it up.
Its the kind of thing thats in your blood, and I will ride until it is physically impossible to do.If I wind up checking out on a bike, I think that would be appropriate.I want to die from a heart attack when Im really old from either riding or $ex!!!

I have taken to the vintage events, the whole mindset there is sooo much better than a modern MX where you get A bunch of 16 year olds out to kill you. At the AHRMA events, everyone is in the same boat. we all have families, all have jobs, and the last thing we want to do is get hurt. There is still competition though, but in general everyone is respectful.

6 months for a broken foot is lame. I wore a full leg cast from my ass to my toes for 4 weeks, while working the lousy factory job I had. (actually the Doc says all that standing helped my ACL get crammed back into my leg bone like it should of been because when he went to make me a new one out of my knee cap tendon, he was suprised to see the original had fixed back in.)

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I remember a scene from "On any Sunday" where they showed a dude ripping off his cast and cramming his swollen leg into a boot. "Why do they do it?" said the narrator....

we all know why we do it!
to hell with the rest of the world!

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by 2stroke

I have taken to the vintage events, the whole mindset there is sooo much better than a modern MX where you get A bunch of 16 year olds out to kill you. At the AHRMA events, everyone is in the same boat. we all have families, all have jobs, and the last thing we want to do is get hurt. There is still competition though, but in general everyone is respectful.

I ride all diciplines but I enjoy Trials the most and it is a similar mindset hell my first ever trial one of the masters class riders came up to me and said looking good I saw you rideing pretty good in the sections today. and then gave me a few pointers.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by gwcrim
This thread has turned interesting.

I offered to trade an old GS450 for an old John Deere mower. The guy just laughed. He said he had no interest in motorcycles.

How on earth could somone NOT like motorcycles? How could a parent NOT want their children to learn to ride with them? I just don't get it!

Must be an Islamist/Communist/Tree Hugger thing. :)

I think it is more that they are afraid of the bikes and a bit jealous that we do enjoy the sport. The guys here at work are always teasing me about riding, especially my streetbike but then they come and ask about "possibly" getting a bike & what to look for. I can't even count the number of times I've had women comment that they couldn't imagine being brave enough to ride street, but it really looks like fun. Maybe they would feel safer on the trails. I suppose those that Karl likes to drag me through wouldn't have quite the allure of the streetbike idea but they aren't nearly as intimidating as riding with traffic.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I feel happy and safe on the trails on my Pampera, and nervous and skittish on the backstreets - these soccer moms scare the wits outta me !

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy
Bill, Bill, Bill, even your friend (note it's not plural :p) looks at you funny when you say that :debil:
Dave - Ever notice how we pretend not to know you at the Paragon parking lot?
Maybe it's because you ride a Susucki, maybe it's because you're a dork or maybe you need a stronger deodorant... pick one! :moon:

BTW - The guy that sawed his cast off was Dick Mann. He was a very good flat-tracker and an ISDT Silver Medalist.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Dave - Ever notice how we pretend not to know you at the Paragon parking lot?
Maybe it's because you ride a Susucki, maybe it's because you're a dork or maybe you need a stronger deodorant... pick one! :moon: ...
Good, I've finally hit on something that will keep you from trying to get too close to me. I gotta write this down :laugh:

Top Bottom