Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
can any one help me as to why 2 strokes have the big expansion pipes? why not a 4 stroke pipe? i have tried searches, but my computer freezes everytime. if any one could answer my question, or direct me to a previouse thread, it would be greatly apreciated.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Ok, I will try to explain how I understand it works. Might be wrong.

As the piston goes down in the cylinder the pressure from it shoots the new air/fuel mixture through the ports and into the cylinder while at the same time removing the nasty burn fuel out the exhaust. In the process, some of the new fuel/air goes out the exhaust with it. The pipe is shaped so the harmonics of the exhaust actualy pushes the unburnt gas/air mixture back into the cylinder.

I might be wrong, just hope I don't sound stupid. I have a pic I can post in a bit

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
okay, that makes a bit of sense.. it gives me somewhat of an idea as to why they have the pipes.
and no you dont sound stupid, it makes sense.. to me atleast :p

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
but... what would happen if you put a 4stroke pipe on it? woulnt it just 'waste' the gas/air mixture that escapes into the pipe? would it be bad for the bike?

sorry for all the questions, im just trying to understand it properly

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
A 2-stroke engine running a straight pipe will run, but not well, as the shape of the pipe is an integral part of the engine's tuning. Also, if you remove back pressure from a 2-stroke engine, you risk burning the piston/ring around the exhaust port, because of it not having a sufficient charge of fresh premix.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Brandon H. said:
Ok, I will try to explain how I understand it works. Might be wrong.

As the piston goes down in the cylinder the pressure from it shoots the new air/fuel mixture through the ports and into the cylinder while at the same time removing the nasty burn fuel out the exhaust. In the process, some of the new fuel/air goes out the exhaust with it. The pipe is shaped so the harmonics of the exhaust actualy pushes the unburnt gas/air mixture back into the cylinder.

I might be wrong, just hope I don't sound stupid. I have a pic I can post in a bit

Seems like you pretty much nailed it Brandon.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
IndyMX said:
Seems like you pretty much nailed it Brandon.
WOOT!! :aj:

I have been listening to yall. This noob (me) is learning :whoa: :cool:

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
This is what i was talking about

Arbeitsweise_Zweitakt.gif

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
That is a pretty cool diagram.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
seems that engine is running backwards though...maybe it's a yamaha 2t with the carb in the front :laugh:

you know like the new yz450f 4t

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
to answer the question on two stroke pipes on 4st and 4st pipes on 2st:
both have been employed in the past and currently are.

the modern design expansion chamber on 2st act just like a compressor. but they do not start on this shape. the first atempts some 70 years back was just megaphones, yes megaphones. like the ones being employed on 4st flat track, moto gp, some mx designs etc, etc...
a lot of 4st pipes are designed to have a expansion chamber but some are hidden, just cylindrical boxes.
and plain straight pipes are also used on two strokes not only on 4st. trial bikes, industrial engines, boat and snowmobiles etc are some exemples...

of course, one cannot just swap it, but both have they´re pros and cons and can be made to suit the aplication.
generically writing, on both engines straight pipes are mostly seen on low performance engines while expansion and\or conpression pipes are related with high specific power (Kw per cc) high rpm, narrow power band, racing engines.

confusing? :cool:

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
sr5bidder said:
seems that engine is running backwards though...maybe it's a yamaha 2t with the carb in the front :laugh:

you know like the new yz450f 4t
It may surprise you they can run in both way it just matter of flipping the timing 180 deg

Last edited:

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
okayy, that make sense. thanks for the link matt90gt. so basicly it just creates a timed [to the rpm] back pressure for higher performance and fuel burning?.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
word yo its like braaappp braaapp

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
SHSPVR said:
It may surprise you they can run in both way it just matter of flipping the timing 180 deg
actually is not 180 degrees, or the spark will fire at bottom dead center. is just a matter of put the timing of the spark on the other side of top death center. if its 2mm before TDC, just move it to 2mm after TDC.(retard the timing twice the amount of the advance)

many gp engines have cranckshafts running backwards.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
helio lucas said:
actually is not 180 degrees, or the spark will fire at bottom dead center. is just a matter of put the timing of the spark on the other side of top death center. if its 2mm before TDC, just move it to 2mm after TDC.(retard the timing twice the amount of the advance)

many gp engines have cranckshafts running backwards.
Your rigth I don't know what I was think of :bang:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
A question for some of the old timers...

didn't Ray Martino<SP?> Tony D's mechanic before he got a ride with Suzuki, take an obscure European bike that had a timing curve that was backwards set up the engine and trans to run backwards because it ran better that way?

May 9, 2007
Four-strokes don't use expansion chambers because they use valves to control the air flow. Two-strokes use the positive and negative pressure waves in the pipe to perform the function of valves. The divergent and convergent cones of the pipe are what determine the frequency and amplitude of the waves.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom