KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
NEWS RELEASE:cool:

Legendary Widowmaker Hillclimb Returns To Utah :aj:

Morgan, Ut—The world-famous Widowmaker Hillclimb is returning to Utah on June 21-22, 2003, after an absence of 15 years. This off-road motorcycle event was originally held near Draper, Utah from 1965 to 1988, and in its heyday drew over 20,000 spectators. It was featured in Bruce Brown’s 1971 motion picture On Any Sunday and is still shown in the opening segment of ABC’s Wide World of Sports. Motorcycle hillclimbs are the oldest form of motorcycle competition, dating back to the early 1900’s. Always a crowd favorite, the event pits man and motorcycle against the roughest, steepest hills possible, seeing who can claim the title “King of the Hill.”

“We are thrilled to be bringing back this legendary event,” said event marketing director Ron Dillon. “The Widowmaker was a real mainstay of Utah sports history and the new hill, located just off of I-84 above Morgan, Utah is even steeper and nastier than the original Widowmaker was. Morgan County has been extremely professional to work with, and we are working hard to insure that everyone enjoys a great weekend at the hill. Hillclimbing is a terrific family sport and we are not going to sell alcohol at the event.”

Featuring a $30,000 cash purse, the Widowmaker is expected to draw over 500 entries from across the United States and Canada, and 20,000 spectators. The new hill is 1,000 feet long, with a vertical rise of 560 feet; certain sections of the hill tilt at a cliff-like 59 degrees. There will also be a wild halftime show, featuring professional mountain bikers who will attempt to ride down the hill.

The property is owned by the Wilde Family, who live in the area, and a hill restoration plan will be implemented at the conclusion of the event. “We will begin reseeding and smoothing the hill immediately following the event” continued Dillon. “It is in everyone’s best interests, including ours, that the hill remains in good, sustainable shape. We envision a long-term partnership with the Wilde Family and Morgan County.”

For more information, an event website is forthcoming at www.widowmakerhillclimb.com or contact Ron Dillon at (208) 342-3910
:thumb:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
We are talking with Speedvision and Fox TV.
This is not the original Widowmaker hill which is lost forever with houses built there now, but it is a virgin hill worthy of the name.

The website is up and running but lacks info right now since this has just started to come together in the last week and a half. :yeehaw:

Oct 22, 2000
:think:
Originally posted by KWJams
a hill restoration plan will be implemented at the conclusion of the event. “We will begin reseeding and smoothing the hill immediately following the event” continued Dillon. “It is in everyone’s best interests, including ours, that the hill remains in good, sustainable shape. We envision a long-term partnership with the Wilde Family and Morgan County.”
:thumb:

If this works well, it'll only strengthen our hand when it comes to fighting the Enviro-wackos in court (when they try to shut down other riding areas due to damage and errosion). By becoming "environmentally friendly" ourselves (to a degree), it will take much of the wind out of their sails. Oh, I almost forgot, it's great to see this event come back! :yeehaw:

RatTrap:thumb:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Originally posted by Rattletrap'83CR480
:think:

If this works well, it'll only strengthen our hand when it comes to fighting the Enviro-wackos in court (when they try to shut down other riding areas due to damage and errosion). By becoming "environmentally friendly" ourselves (to a degree), it will take much of the wind out of their sails. Oh, I almost forgot, it's great to see this event come back! :yeehaw:

RatTrap:thumb:

We lost a hill last year in Idaho partly because the members of the motorcycle club that owns the property complained that the hill sustained damage.

Wonder what their motocross track would look like if it was on a hillside? :think:

Motorcycle hillclimbing has been losing to many hills because the results are so visible.
The new Widowmaker hill is across the valley from an open pit cement mine so at least we will not be the biggest eyesore in the valley.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Originally posted by acutemp
Thanks for the post Ken, someday I really need to get to one of the bigger events. :thumb:

Hillsboro sounds real familiar :think: We have a guy named Jim Meyers-- Meyers Racing from around there who attends all our events with a big half-empty enclosed trailer. :eek:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Man, I just watched the scenes from OAS about the Widowmaker. I now live on that hill below the widowmaker. In the movie, it all looks like a flat field, but it's not. Very strange and sad to look at all the houses here now. The original Widowmaker is still very visible as is the second one around to the west.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
"Beep - beep!"

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Ken,
Hillsboro sounds real familiar We have a guy named Jim Meyers-- Meyers Racing from around there who attends all our events with a big half-empty enclosed trailer.
I'll have to look this guy up although his trailer will have to remain half empty. I'm not nearly brave enough to try hills that would cause a mountain goat to soil themself's. To you and the other hillclimbers :worship:
Back in the late 60's and early 70's we used to watch hillclimb's up in the coast range but I haven't been to one in many many years. My dad loved the sound of the old 4 strokes thundering up the hills. Many of the good hills were tore up by idiot's in 4 wheel drives and after the winter rains ended up as unridable rut's. :|
Are there any big climb's up here in the northwest? Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend to me.
Thanks--Dan

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Dan,
I am retired from hillclimbing. Can't afford my co-pay share of anymore knee operations. :(

We are working on a hill near Ontario, OR that may happen soon.

There are some smaller events up around Seattle and Sandpoint.

Many of the good hills were tore up by idiot's in 4 wheel drives and after the winter rains ended up as unridable rut's.
Used to call them "Bronco Tracks" since Ford Bronco's could not climb like my old CJ5, just good for digging holes. :confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom