will a spark arrestor hinder performance???

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
I currently run a Pro-Circuit pipe and shorty silencer but will be needing to run a spark arrestor on the local state trails. I was wondering if I could just leave the arrestor on when I hit the motocross tracks or would there be a performance issue ?Will a spark arrestor require different jetting? Obviously I'd prefer not to keep switching silencers and jetting if I can avoid it.... Thanks Again

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Most of the newer spark arrestors claim that they dont hinder performance. My FMF didnt affect my jetting or performance at all.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
A Cobra Sparky S/A bolts onto the end of your silencer to make it legal and they claim it doesn't hurt performance at all.

jeremym1234

~SPONSOR~
Jan 12, 2002
I run a Turbine Core II. I didn't notice a decrease in power, but it did change location. I noticed a bit more bottom/mid, and a little less top. Which was actually nice.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I just got the cobra S/A set up and I can't feel a loss in power at all on the highly scientific butt dyno. If you run a PC shorty you will have to get creative with a dremel and drill to get it to mount up , but I am really happy with it now.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I was thinking of getting a Cobra Sparky S/A but I don't see them for sale for 125s (FMF powercore silencer), and I would think it wouldn't fit with the rear fender in the way.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
We put a sparky on my nephews 82 YZ80. They didnt have one for his bike so I took measurements of the muffler and went down to the dealer until I found 1 close.

When we got home I slid it on and put 2 small sheet metal screws through it.

Works well and hasnt come off yet.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I was thinking of getting a Cobra Sparky S/A but I don't see them for sale for 125s (FMF powercore silencer), and I would think it wouldn't fit with the rear fender in the way.

Cobra does not make a Sparky for an FMF power core 2. Has anyone rigged one on ? If so, which model Sparky did you use ?

i have a FMF powercore shorty and bought the cobra sparky for it, direct fit but it needed a little persuasion(sp?)!

i didnt notice any loss of power since before i couldnt hold onto the bike and i still couldnt with it on! :eek:

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
Do you know the product #/description of the Sparky you bought ?
I am seeing three products for FMF and according to Cobra, none of them are designed for a PowerCore:
FMF 250/500 straight
FMF 250/500 ISDE angle
FMF 250/500 angle

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dude, sorry about the delay, ive been away!

i got the cobra FMF angle since my silencer comes up at an angle. if your silencer is the type that is parallel witht he ground i would expect you need the straight one.

i know nothing of the ISDE one!

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
After many days of searching and discussions, I have come to the conclusion that the Sparky will not fit properly on the new FMF Power Core 2 silencers. The outside width (2.656" out to out) of the Power Core 2 is not the problem. The problem is the height (3.375" out to out) - Sparky is 4" (inside to inside).
I guess that their may be solutions to making one fit but after talking to a guy at Fredette Racing, this may not be the best solution. I believe that I would not be sacrificing any significant benefits by trading in my Power Core 2 for a Turbine Core 2. They claim the TC2 performs well in comparison.

If you need help finding the right Sparky for your machine, e-mail Daryl at [email protected]. Daryl has been very helpful.

Top Bottom