will extra premix make rings last longer?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I tend to disagree, Peer.
I think that there needs to be a greater amount of oil used for the higher revving small bikes.
I think 32:1 just may be sufficient, depending on your riding style. But surely there is benifit to using a greater amount of oil when warranted.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
To an extent, more oil is probably better. But it probalby only works well to a point, and then you just burning extra. 40 to 1 Amsoil in my YZ has worked great all the time.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
How much is too much? The never ending debate. I do however believe that to much oil could cause problems with powervalves. More oil may icrease ring life, at the same time gumming up the powervalve. With synthetic oils I would say you are more than protected with what the manufacturer recommends for ratio.
I run Belray H1R @ 40:1 with premium Chevron pump gas.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I run Amsoil and now that I ride a lot faster and rev a lot higher I cringe at the idea of running it @ 50:1....36:1 for me now and I don't have trouble with powervalve's gumming. I just get the jetting dialed and I'm good to go!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I am going out on a limb to say that how hard you ride determines ring wear and oil content will determine piston scuffing . to a certain degree anyway

If most of the ring sealing is caused by combustion pressure isn't how hard you ride the engine going to determine the scraping of oil off the cylinder wall so the ring can seal against it? I am not so sure I buy the one ring will rev higher then a 2 ring piston bit ,all weights being equal , but the two ring piston should seal better at lower pressures right?

Now the oil being scraped off will be forced back down to help lubricate the skirts.

I am not sure if extra oil will help the rings but if I am correct it should definately help the piston. Atleast you wont have to buy a piston with every ring change anyway.

Just a thought and ready for the real reason :worship:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Lew
How much is too much? The never ending debate. I do however believe that to much oil could cause problems with powervalves. More oil may icrease ring life, at the same time gumming up the powervalve.

In a properly jetted engine running clean fuel and the proper oil for the application I have found less build up at 18:1 than a lot of riders are getting at 50:1. Maybe I'm just the lucky one. ;)

General statements about oil are generally to general to be of much use to riders in general. :eek:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
I think that there needs to be a greater amount of oil used for the higher revving small bikes.
I think 32:1 just may be sufficient, depending on your riding style. But surely there is benifit to using a greater amount of oil when warranted.
I agree with the bird man.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
if you want to make your top end last a long time keep your air filter very clean as whell as the air box and air boot and make sure the air boot does not leak and dirt where it meets the air box just think how much longer snow mobiles and jet skis get on one top end with no dirt making its way though.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How much longer do they make it, stu?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i dont have exact numbers but i have some friends that ride both dirt and racing snowmobiles and they say they get a lot more hours in the snow.and i have herd the same in the jet skis

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I dont have any facts but my sence says more oil make the engine last longer, im pretty sure.

I now have mounted a cyclecomputer on my bike to keep track on time and i will - when i get more frequent riding time - ride say 10 hours on 2% oil and see how the piston and ring looks and take pictures of it and make compression tests etc. Then same thing again after another 10 hours or whenever i feel its time to check and replace piston. Then with a new piston i will to the same thing running 4% oil.

Probably wont last twice as long but lets say it last 10% longer then do the math if it will be a profit running more oil. For sure you will have less risk of engine seizure even when not running perfect jetted.

I've been riding for 10+ years, year round somethimes even with the same jetting and never seized or had any engine damage. People have said stuff like "you cant run the same jetting when its -25 c as in summer or you will have a very bad running bike or seize it" well i havent had any of it and i can only refer to 3 to 4% oil as my defence. Or like a guys said "2% is enought, 4% is just a waste" well this guys have had his bike seized and i havent seized any bike in my life so i dont think 4% oil is a waste.

More oil may require more frequent powervavle cleaning and cost more money but may save you from a seizure.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
oil is cheap vs. the damage that the lack of oil will do....load up on the stuff man :thumb: ya ya you might have to pull the pv's out once more than normally..whoopdy doo da

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
How much longer do they make it, stu?

I've seen watercraft motors last as long as 15 years.. Leave them stock, use good gas and good oil, should last along time.. Plus the motors dont rev as high, say 7500 too 8000 rpm..
Rick

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom