will FMF "Gnarly" pipe from 1995-2004 kdx200-220 fit my 91kdx100?

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
A shop here has one for sale and I don't know if it will fit. I posted in another forum before I found this one...where is the place I'm most likely to find help.

Basically, I'm looking for a reasonably priced exhaust for this bike, but I don't want to pay $200 for it. I've found them new for $170, but would rather find one used cheaper...as I'll just beat it to pieces eventually anyway.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
You could probably massage it into place but it most likely wouldn't work right. If you want a cheap option, watch ebay for a stock pipe for a 89-94 KDX 200. Gut it with the directions on the JustKDX site http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/pipe.html and you'll have a great performer. The stockers go for $15-25 on ebay all the time.

-Maurice

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I would think that putting a pipe on a bike that was designed for an engine twice its size wouldn't work nearly as well as the stock pipe under any circumstances. You'd be throwing money away on something that wouldn't work, even if you could bend the thing around enough to fit. Spend the extra money on a pipe designed for the bike...it'll be far cheaper in the long run. A 100cc machine needs a significantly shorter distance from the cylinder to the rear cone and probably a narrower body and smaller diameter stinger to even get it in the ball park of performing right. Study how the 2-stroke engine works in conjunction with the pipe to see how all of this has to be designed just right for the engine to even run properly let alone focus the power band where you want it. There's alot more going on than meets the eye.

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
rethnal said:
I think that 100cc ref is a typo! I have a stock pipe for your bike if interested... like brand new.....

Yes, you're correct. Sorry for the typo. I read the reply above and thought "where'd he get that?" Then I reread my post and found out :)

What do you guys think will be the difference in the stock pipe without dents, and the aftermarket ones?

I'm interested in the stock one you have...can you email me some info...like what you want for it inc shipping?

Also, I do welding for a living, but still yet, I don't know that it's worth the time to gut the factory one.

And what about the factory spark arrester? I took the packing out yesterday, since it was clogged with oil pretty bad. I thought about doing some work on it like taking out the pipes that redirect flow forwards then back again. Will this greatly affect the sound? I think it will gain power, but I don't want it to be a lot louder.

and for those that wonder about my welding, check out this page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/engloid/workpics/workpics.html

I've done it for a few years :)

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Can't help you with the pipe but I did like your web page. :-)

Best,
Greg

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
Thanks for the compliments guys. I do work on the side if you gys ever need anything. I typically don't charge much at all. I can nearly always beat local weld shops that proudly throw nasty welds down and charge a ton....even after considering shipping.

Anyway, I am probably going to by a used pipe mentioned above. I will then have 2 pipes and both will likely get gutted. How much do you guys think I could sell one for after gutting it?

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Twiztid One said:
people say that they cant tell the difference from a gutted pipe to a fmf , aint as pretty but it gets the same job done . a buddy of mine did this to his 96 kdx and luvs it . :)

A gutted stock 96 pipe works as good as an FMF? I thought this mod was only for earlier generations? Any pics?

BTW Engloid, I do some hobby Mig and stick welding (would like a Tig down the road also), and your welding looks awesome. More like art than something that should be used :)

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Wow, that is some nice welding, dang. That is the best i have ever seen. I am takin an Equipment Operations and Repair program and school next semester and you learn welding in that class. I think im going to bookmark your awesome site and show it to the teacher! That is awesome! By the way, this coming from a girl, and those welds look better than what comes stock on alot of bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom