Windrock Mountain?? (In Tennessee)

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
Well, I'm planning to go sometime this week, maybe as late as the weekend.

This is a great place to ride with about 70,000+ acres of trails. Trails are mapped out and mantained.

If you want to find info, you can find it if you search for Windrock or Coal Creek Mining, since they own the land.

If anybody wants to get together and ride, let me know.

engloid AT despammed.com

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Well, I'm gonna be a little late. I'm going July 9,10,11, for my first time. I'm really looking forward to it.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Windrock is my local ride (other than the front yard...) :ride: However, we avoid holidays and most summer weekends as the place is a zoo - especially with the "run anything" attituded and bi-directional trails. Have a good time but be careful!

While you can camp in parts of the windrock parking lot for free (get there early, as no reservations!) - I suggest the windrock campground http://www.windrockcampground.com/ with its shaded camping spots (make a reservation). They are also in the process of making many improvements including a shower facility and real restrooms (instead of porta's). Not sure if they have completed though as they were waiting on some county permits last time i was out there over a month ago.

I chatted with Gary Hoskins (one of the owners) when I was out there. Nice guy. We had a good chat about how to make money with the family farm, yet they were giving away firewood to campers - not too many campgrounds would pass up that extra cash opportunity...

This link has info on windrock area http://www.tommyrhea.com/

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I grew up in Oak Ridge, and live in Knoxville, so camping won't be necessary.

Years ago, it was considered trespassing to go there, but it wasn't really enforced at all.

The good thing about that place is that it's so big that even on the busy days it's not too bad. Some trails are bad at times...mainly the ones close to the parking like trail 2. If you go farther away there's a lot fewer people. Try going up around 17, 18, and in that area. Most of the guys that aren't regulars from the area won't go that way.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I heard there was a hotel there that you could ride straight from the parking lot. True?

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
bcVulcan said:
I heard there was a hotel there that you could ride straight from the parking lot. True?

nearest hotel is about 8 miles away in oak ridge. you can ride directly from the windrock campground - although it is on a road and you MUST keep the speed/noise down or the sheriff will stop - they presently just look the other way. obviously you can ride from one of the parking lot camping spots too.

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I don't know about riding there from the hotel. It's probably closer than 8 miles though. I grew up in the area and I'd not drive that distance unless I had tags and stuff....or absolutely had to.

There's plenty of parking in the lot at the start of the trails, if you have a trailer or other way to haul the bike.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003

Unless there is a hotel in Oliver Springs (and I don't know) - the nearest is in Oak Ridge. 8-miles from my house to WindRock - guess I could be off by a mile or two from town center to WindRock versus my house. Regardless, you ride a dirt bike on the streets between Oak Ridge and WindRock and you will be in a great deal of trouble...

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I agree. That's not a really dangerous road from Oak Ridge to Oliver Springs, but there's a couple favorite places for the cops to sit and catch speeders (at "hill top" area, and in Tri-County).

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I have never seen anyone ride a dirt bike from oak ridge to windrock. However, i have ridden my dual-sport xt225 (licensed) in full offroad gear and the police sitting near the oliver springs elementary school did take a close look at me as I passed at the legal 15mph (active school zone).

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I've considered taking half a day off work tomorrow to ride. My buddies have all wimped out on me. You think it will be muddy up there by mid-day? I havn't gone up there this close to a good rain before.

If you think it will be ok, you wanna try and meet up and go?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…