Winter Friction Spike Tires or ? ? ? ? ?

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I am thinking about riding all winter and would like to get some opinions on the Trelleborg Winter Friction Spiked tires and off brand tires that have the winter friction spikes installed. I used the Trelleborg’s years ago (mid - late 80's) and they were the way to go in the deeper snow. But for the $600.00 price for a pair you have to wonder are they really worth it. If you use them let me know what you think, and if you use an off brand with the spikes added AKA Chen Shin spiked at Moto Race or something similar let me know how they work as well. Thanks for your help - Lloyd

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
They are expensive up front, yes. But given that most people get between 7 to 10 seasons out of them, the cost per year may be the same or better than regular tires. They work great. Mail order can reduce the cost to $500 and change.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
We use #10 slotted hex head sheet metal screws. A couple in each knob with an electric driver costs around $10 per tire..You do lose a few with each ride but just screw in another one

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
In New England you cant use screws at orginized events. Automotive studs or friction spike studs are all that are allowed. Of course for trail riding with your friends they are ok, just get ripped out a lot. But if you want to ride a hare scramble or enduro you need studs.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
the t-bergs are great, i used them last year and this year my lil brother has taken the initative to put them on hs bke bfore i got hoem from school, but he used a set of michilans last year that were studded by some other company, they didnt hold up as well. he used them last year and i'll pobly use them this year and thats all were going to get ou of them, go with the t-bergs

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Kold Kutter screws in a brand new Chen sheng 560/18 nob makes my KDX250 UNBELEIVABLE in the snow here in Michigan - and cheap (80 bucks for screws and tire)!!! Use a few hundred front and rear and you will hate to take them out in the spring!!! They are hardened, come in a good variety of lengths (buy them so they go down full lenght of the nob and they will not come out!), and are a whole lot sharper then sheet metal screws (I used those back in 73 on my elsinore - worked pretty good but you should try Kold Kutters - they define "tractabilty" in the white stuff.....)
I just finished putting my hot grips and new rubber on too> CANT WAIT for the snow!! But I keep riding daily with out the screws even its not as much fun (LOL).
Woodsy

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I can use screws here in new England at events like hare scrambles and enduros. I used to ice race and have used sheet metal screws and Cold Cutters before. They do work pretty good too but get ripped out of the knobs here due to all the rocks. If you have some snow with a hard frozen base the screws hold up ok but if you dig down to the rocks below - forget it. You will lose half the screws from the rear tire per ride and rip the tire apart as well. I would like to know if any one has tried the friction spikes in a cheaper tire like the chen shin. Is it worth the difference in price to use the cheaper tire ? ? Or should i just get the Trelleborgs? Thanks for everyones imput. - Lloyd

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
We use carrage bolts with ny-locks. We take an old tire (lugs worn out) and drill the tires where the lugs are and push the carrage bolts through and fasten the ny-locks on. They NEVER come out and last forever! :)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Us guys in the Sates get between none and oh 12 feet or so depending :nener: ;)

I use screws but there are not a lot of rocks here, so they sta in pretty well. I only loose less then 1/4 over the season.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You can ride in up to about a foot if it is not crusted, but even the non crusted stuff form ruts. Virgin trails are the way to go snow riding IMHO.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have seriously been thinking of one of those kits for dirt bike that have a ski and a track. I can't recall the names though. We have two snowmobiles,only because my wife likes it. But if I had a KX 500 and one of those I may enjoy it a whole lot more.

Top Bottom