Winter friction Spike Tires Or ?????

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I am thinking about riding all winter and would like to get some opinions on the Trelleborg Winter Friction Spiked tires and off brand tires that have the winter friction spikes installed. I used the Trelleborg’s years ago (mid - late 80's) and they were the way to go in the deeper snow. But for the $600.00 price for a pair you have to wonder are they really worth it. If you use them let me know what you think, and if you use an off brand with the spikes added AKA Chen Shin spiked at Moto Race or something similar let me know how they work as well. Thanks for your help - Lloyd

cavanagh

Nov 5, 2001
I have rode all winter for years by just studding up my own tires with kold kutter ice racing screws. They have an ad in the back of cycle news if you need thier number.

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I have used the cold cutter screws when I ice raced but screws are not legal in New England for trail riding events AKA Enduros, Harescrambles, and Turkey runs. I have run tires studded with auto studs but they only work when the ground is frozen and with very little snow. When the snow gets deep they really don’t work very well. Thanks for your impute – Lloyd

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
try studing your tires with 1/4-20 charage bolts. drill each stud and put bolt from in sideout. washer nut then weld. talk about hooking up.1 foot of snow and still pulled front up! put heavy duty tube in and about 20psi.it really works just got back from a ride about ahour a go. good luck p.s 1inch long bolts.

madkormos

Nov 23, 2002
I run the 1/4-20s also its a cheap way out and work great. but to drill the tire,push the bolts in every hole,install a washer and nut,tighten every one and then weld each nut to the bolt its very time consuming. about 4 to 6 hours per tire. total cost $50 at most for both tires. the out come is well worth the effort.after a winter season just throw some weld on the studs and youre good for the next season. oh yeah they work great in mud and leaves,snow and mud, and fozen ground and snow. They just dont work on ice covered roads its like riding on ball bearings.
I dont know if they are legal for races. I just trail ride untill the gncc starts up in march.

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
If you don't mind a bit of time and effort you can use just simple sheetmetal/wood screws 1/4 screws with the socket head with the flat head cut in the middle. Cost 5 dollars for both tires and use a electric drill. We have ran them around here for results and good life of the screws/tires. Plus you can remove the screws and ride the bike without removing from the bike til the tires are worn out.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
You can buy a set of spikes from either winterstuds or motox for around $400.00 for the set, not as good as trelleborgs but better then screws, which as you know are illegal around here. We tried studding are own last year buying the studs from winterstuds and putting them in with a stud gun. It was a pain and the results were marginal.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Some of places that we ride at will not allow you out with self made studded tires. Must use tires like the Trellborgs. They don't want the screws coming out and then getting stuck in thier tractor tires in the spring.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I got a set of Michelins (M12's) I bought at www.lansingcycle.com that I'm going to use, they look pretty good to me. I'll let you know how they work after this next sunday.

sanford

Apr 9, 2002
I HAVE TRIED A FEW DIFFERENT KINDS OF SPIKED TIRES. ITS TOUGH TO BEAT A PAIR OF TRELLIES.

ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A REAR BRIDGESTONE THAT HAD SPIKES IN IT. NOT SURE WHAT COMPNAY PUT THE SPIKES IN AND SOLD IT BUT THE SPIKES WERE ABOUT HALF AS LONG AS A TRELLY AND THERE WERE ABOUT HALF AS MANY....BOTTOM LINE, I WASN'T TOO IMPRESSED.

I RECENTLY HAD BEEN USING A PAIR OF MICHELINS. I THINK THEY SELL FOR ABOUT $400-450. THE SPIKES LOOK VERY SIMILAR TO THE TRELLIES AND THEY WORK JUST AS WELL.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hope this works!
My rear spike tire

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Woo Hoo, rode in the snow today about 50 miles - 6 miles of road on the way back. It was a blast!
My rear spike tire picture is up in my gallery.
They really hook up and you can rip through the woods. Try it!

Last edited:

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
i've had pretty decent luck with the kold kutters (5/8 rear & 1/2 front)if your planing on racing alot of clubs wont allow any type of screw or bolt from the inside out. have never ridden on trellies before,im sure there better than screws but 35 bucks is alot easier to swallow than 600! i even won and took third in the first races of the year and everybody in my class had trellies on.maybe the riders more important than the tires! :)

PAMXC200

Feb 16, 2001
The motorace website has pics of Cheng Shin, Michelin, and Trelleborg tires that you can compare. FWIW my buddy has a rear Trelleborg that is at least 7 years old and he's still using it. It still works ok but it's a bugger to mount on the rim as it's extremely stiff!! I kinda wish I had invested in them at some point during my extended bachelorhood. My days of spending that kind of money on motorcycle tires is long gone...... ;o)

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I've ridden 2 years on Cheng Shin front Maxxus rear from Moto-Race. Good on packed snowmobile trails and frozen ground, fair on ice. This year I'm using Canadian screws imported by Kimpex in Michelin M12 front and S12 rear and I am impressed! The screw heads are twice as tall as kold kutters or gold screws (1/4"). You have to use liners in the tires with 1" shanks in rear tire and 3/4" shanks in front. The screws don't pull out. The liners are old street rib tires with the bead and sidewall cut out. On the frozen lake this setup almost works as well as my DTX bike with Kendas and kold kutters plus I can trailride it! I would still like to try a set of Trelleborgs when I have the cash. A local guy was going to try tap-con screws instead of carriage bolts. I'm not sure how it worked out for him.
Norman

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i tried the carriage bolt setup a few years ago, it didn't work well on the frozen ground around here, they don't bite in and sit on top and spin. I have just resorted to 10-3/4 sheet metal screws for the rear with an old inner tube cut up for a liner for the rear, and 8-1/2 screws for the front. you do have to replace some screws every few rides but it is still a lot cheaper than those studded tires. I couldn't see spending the $ unless you were competing.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The Trelleborgs work very well. When you consider that you can get 7-8 seasons out of them, the cost works out to less than you would spend on regular tires over the same time span.

Top Bottom