Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I know, I know. . . there are still quite a few weeks left before Mother Nature gets all nasty with us for the winter months. But, have any of you given any thought to what your winter projects might be?
I got to thinking about this when I received this email from my nephew :
Hi Kieth,
It's Dave. Cheryl does not want me to sell my bike, but, I need the money. I would like 300 for it. Don't let her see this. Write back and let me know.
The bike he is refering to is a 1987 CR500.:):):) It has bad crank/con rod bearings among other minor things. It's got a number of things that I've never had before. Water cooling, cartridge forks, and rear disk brake. Of course to finance the project I'd have to get rid of one of my other bikes (maybe:D ).
I dunno, I think I'm going to have a busy winter after all this year!:)
Waddya think?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I just hauled home my winter project. My bro-in-law gave me a 1979 GS850 Sasawooski. (yes GAVE :) )

It's a great looking bike, actually...only one little dent in the tank. It's complete with a full set of saddle bags and a windjammer.

He claimed he could only ride it for about 200 miles and the plugs will foul. He changed plugs quite often and says it's just one of those things.
:eek: LOL

I've been going to a GS only type board and getting some tips. I plan on having a very nice vintage street ride by the end of the winter.

B

biglou

I'm contemplating moving forward with project "Rolling Thunder". What the heck is that, you ask? I am thinking about building a Suzuki "RMF". I gave it a half-arsed attempt with the previous DRZ, but did get some decent results. I'm in contact with a guy who's done this already and has a pro race his bike. The only thing that may stop me is if Suzuki will be releasing theirs before I can finish mine. Plus it'll save me about $4000! I am already familiar with and like very much the power and delivery of the DRZ. So it is my starting point. I was able to shave a fair amount of weight off of my stock 2000 DRZ with some sensible modifications, and I'd like to take that a step further.
Here's what I'm shooting for:
2002 DRZ kick-only.
Yoshimura race pipe.
Rejet (of course) and airbox mod.
RM tank, shrouds, fenders and side plastic.
USD forks with billet triple clamps.

Here is a pic of what I am thinking of, although not necessarily these colors or graphics: (Anyone got $10,000 I can borrow:scream:?)

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
I have decided to change pace a little bit (from mx) and try some hare scrammble racing next year. Will convert the CR to a woods weapon this winter. Narrow up the bars add bark busters and forrest approved silencer possibly larger fuel tank. I am not sure of every thing I need to change so any advice would be much appreciated.

Then I would like to finish restoring my car. Between the two I should keep busy all winter.

B

biglou

bens-Contact Wade (that's his DRN screen name). He is here in KC and he has a sweet 2001 CR250 that he scrambles with. The oversized tank he has fits beautifully in between the aluminum spars. You can't even tell it's there. He had Mike Kruger at Cyclezone KTM do his suspension. It is very nice. He has a flywheel weight and a Scott's steering damper. I've ridden it and like it a lot. It still hits harder than my MXC, but it feels stronger down low, also.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
thekid and I are going to tear into a 1973 honda trail 50 we got from offroadr at DW. Figure it is a good learner for him (and me) to strip down , troubleshoot, and hopefully feel the reward when it is running again. Plus if it gets running will make a fun pitbike for him

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well, I think I may do a complete frame off on the Mamba. Sandblast and paint the frame with Carbon Mastic black. Do a top and bottom rebuild. Replace any bearings or seals that need it. Maybe even some new plastic and graphics. I'll have the KTM to ride if the weather is nice while the Mamba is down. I'm also going to do some physical training and try to be more prepared for some racing next year. I will probably try to run an Enduro series and an MX series as well as several HS. I'll be in the over 40 class next year so maybe, MAYBE I'll stand a chance.:) :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I picked it up last night. :) The winter project has officially begun. The bike came with 2 new FMF pipes, a new FMF silencer, a new rear tire, new(still in the box) piston and rings, a freshly honed cylinder, new reeds/reed valve, and a new air filter. All that and a bike that doesn't work for $300.00. I was also wrong about the forks, they are not cartridge forks, but seem to be a bit more complex than the damping rod fork I have now.
The initail inspection of the engine confirmed what I thought. The cases have to be split. The rod bearings are shot. The clutch assembly looks to be in good shape.
I also took a peek at the water pump. It has lots of galling/corrosion. Hopefully I won't have to replace the right side cover. I also found what might have lead to the fatal overheating of the bike. The last time he reassembled the bike he reused the waterpump gasket with a liberal coating of liquid gasket. Too much apparently, because the liquid gasket effectively shut off the coolant intake(about 80%). An expensive gasket to say the least.
I'll probably post some pics for those interested.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Fun Project

PapaK;

I envy your purchase. I would love to stumble on to something like that! Have Fun!!;)

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
BIGLOU
I contacted wade, and he set me in the right direction. Thanks for the help. I wont have as much work as I thought. So I guess that leaves more time for the car.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sounds like a sweet deal, PK. Post some pics for us if you can. I'm looking for a pit bike project for this winter. Anybody have any leads on one? I prefer Honda products, but anything 4-stroke and small would be a likely suspect.

Oldguy, do you have any pics of the 50?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nice SIG line Keith :) LMAO

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I am trying to keep up. :confused:
Just look at my latest purchase!
Picture-12.jpg

I made it to 1987 this time!:silly:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Looks like a fun project Keith.

Careful that you don't get warp sickness as you hurtle headlong into shouting distance of the 1990's :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Just some really deep maintance!

the bikes are sweet! hoping to pick up another kdx this winter for spudric #1 off that yellow screamer!
but I do have a small winter project that's none bike. @ work they trashed the stock room. and I bought a shelving unit thats 35' long by 10' tall with a slide library ladder and every thing! I'm going to try to put it in the new pole barn:D but the barn still needs electric and a cement floor$$$$$$$$$$$$

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Looks like you have a great winter project there Kieth!
Mines not officialy started yet, but I want my bike to be like THUMPS bike, so the engine and suspension are coming off soon. I haven't been able to ride since DW, so I figure might as well get a head start on next year;) WINTER SUCKS, but it gives a guy time to get sh_t done:p

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Careful that you don't get warp sickness as you hurtle headlong into shouting distance of the 1990's :)
Do they have some type of Dramamine like substance to help with that?:confused:

The money pit has officially opened! I started the teardown and am truly scared now. The first casualty is the water pump. Need a new right side cover. Next on the list the linkage bearings, completely toast. Also the bolt that holds the linkage to the swing arm was snapped in half! I can't believe that my nephew was riding this bike like this!
Hopefully in another week or so, I'll find the time to tear it the rest of the way down. Then I'll know where I stand. Be afraid, be very afraid!
I want my bike to be like THUMPS bike
Give Billy a call. I'm sure he can oblige!:p

Last edited:
B

biglou

Pivot Works.

Keith-See if you can get a Pivot Works bearing kit/kits for the linkage, swingarm, etc. MUCH cheaper than OEM.:)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I bought OEM bearings once !!! Never again. I tried to use pivot works for the linkage bushings on the 84 500, no dice. I had to go with OEM. The 87 should be covered by them.
The linkage bearings are looking like they will be a January/February purchase. I've got the engine to worry about first. :ugg:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom