MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
WinXP rocks so far, I've had it for a day or two and it just gets better and better. I don't like that my AIM box doesn't dock to the side, and I have had a few instances where menus and stuff get a little messed up, my network is blazing fast and simple but online gaming(counter-strike) is my only real complaint, frame rates cut from over 100 to 50, and ping from 80 to 150. There are a few tweaking programs out there that are suppose to fix that though. Finally some decent drivers from ATI cards also. I'm running a 1.4 athlon tb,Asus A7A266 board, orb 3 heat sink, 256 meg DDR, radeon 64 meg video, 400 watt power supply, and a ton of fans. I tried both writing over windows98 and doing a format and I prefer the format, seems to run cleaner. With minimal problems I give XP two thumbs up! :)

Last edited:

JavaMoto

May 9, 2001
Whatever. I hope you didn't actually pay for it. If you were running Win98 before, probably anything other than Windows 3.1 or OS/2 would be an improvement over what you had.

Here's an interesting article on how Microsoft is padding their "sales" numbers of XP, by virtue of W2K shops that must pay for a XP license in order to get what they really need - a W2K Professional license.

MS XP Bogus Sales Link

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Why pay for something free? :p Anyway, I would love to run linux but my dad wont run it and I don't want to go thru all that mess of networking linux and windows together. I belive its the best windows out there, and frankly with Microsoft's monopoly its forced to be the only OS you can use anymore.

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
I bought a new machine last year with Win ME on it.. anything (including Windows 3.1) is better than this pile of crappy software.. I would rather go back to DOS.. anyway I am upgrading to XP soon for free but don't tell Bill Gates, eh!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
XP is definitely the way to go. With Winslow98SE I had numerous lock-ups etc. Plus going NTFS on the hard drives allows you to secure folders from prying soon to be divorced wives.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Wanna play with Linux (my specialty) get a app called VMware. This app lets you install Linux 'inside" of windows. So you can be running Windows/Linux at the same time. It sounds a bit confusing, but its really simple for the first time Linux user...

Good Luck.

Top Bottom