Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
You guys that are using the standard UFO headlight......how'd you wire it? There is two bulbs of course which I'm only using the lower bigger bulb. The wires are black and red. Say you're looking at the bulb....did you use red on left connector and black on left or vice versa or does it matter?

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Doesn't matter, electricity needs a complete circuit. As long as the wires make a complete path either will do in either spot. BTW, this goes for DC only when referring to light bulbs. DC motors need to turn a certain way and AC is a whole other story.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A note of caution. Keep the regulator in the circuit!! The yellow wire up to your light switch is STRAIGHT from the stator. You MUST (all other things being stock) go from the headlight to the taillight wiring, cuz that's how you're going to get to regulator.

Don't know what your situation is, but if you don't have a taillight (MX type fender) you might be tempted to simply ground one side of the headlight.

That will make it REAL bright...but not for very long :(

BTW...I don't recall the kdx running on DC. It has a regulator...not a rectifier. Try checking your voltage output with your meter set to DC. When I was putting in my UFO twin shell I wondered why I didn't got no volts.......

Maybe I misremember...now THAT would be a first!!!

Last edited:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Hmmm...I do have the mx fender. Just wrapped those wires up and out of way. All I did with headlight is just use the two original wires. Hmmmm..

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
oops? Nah...

If you used the original wires at the headlight (used the 'red' wire ..didn't just ground the headlight) you should be ok. You're still 'going to' the taillight wiring (regulator) whether the actual taillight is wired in or not.

'Yellow' is stator hot. 'Red' is the wire that goes TO the regulator (and taillight).

It IS an AC regulator, btw....not DC. Works OK for lights. Wouldn't for a battery!

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
:silly:
Well, I'll be d@mned.... I haven't seen any UFOs in my time.... Especially none w/ headlights.... So you say you can rewire the "standard" UFO headlight.... Sounds to me like you must of ran into quite a few UFOs if you can tell if they have standard headlights or not.... Laughing...

motox

May 21, 2001
Braahp, If you haven't got the answer you need yet give me an email. I put a UFO headlight on my 92 KDX200 Last year. My bike came with a number plate not a headlight. I'd tell you now how I wired it , but I cain't remember , I'd have to go look at it. I also like the look of a MX fender, so I took off stocker rear (with tail light) and put a real cool mx style. I love the look.

Top Bottom