kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Hello all, been hanging out in the Canadian Daves section awhile as I ride an 01 KDX200(3yrs now). My buddy picked up an 00 YZ250 with Pro Circuit Pipe and Silencer to do some woods riding with. He just got the bike and I went over to test ride it and all I can say is it is scary fast. We are putting our heads together to try and get the hit out of it(like one myself in the future too). Been reading that alot of guys change gearing but can't decide which way to go. Taller or shorter? I'm thinking taller will help. Say from a 50T rear to a 46T? Any help would be appreciated in this department. Also we ride woods strictly, no MX. Considering heavy FWW, tinkering with the Power Valve, Needle, head gaskets ETC. Anything to make the YZ a perfect woods bike. Any insight? Thanks.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I ride a 00 yz250 in the woods and it will take some practice, but once you get comfortable it's a blast. I too came off of a KDX200. The KDX is more suited for the woods but I wanted more speed when things opened up and on the track. My only mods have been softer seat foam, power reeds and clean jetting. The power reeds gave me more bottom end and made the hit smoother. Hang on, relax and keep two fingers on the clutch and two on the brake.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just put the biggest darn flywheel weight you can get on there. That will take the hit out. I do a lot of woods riding on my bike, I am geared 14/51. I feel first gear is a little fast, but it really keeps me out of a lot of trouble. I hit things a lot faster than a normally would and just fly over them without any trouble. If you do change your gearing for woods riding, you generally want to go with more teeth on the rear sprocket.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
An aftermarket pipe like a FMF Gnarly would probably be a little softer in the hit than a stock pipe, I hear Yamaha's stock pipes on some years are pretty mean.

2wheels

Aug 7, 2002
Woods Riding MX Bike

Have Erric Gorr port it for low end.It probably won't cost any more than a pipe and can make your MX bike into a tractor.

olthesav

Aug 25, 2006
i ride my 00 yz 250 in teh woods and its awesome, just takes a bit of time to get used to, the hit of power sure is usefull for jumping over things you dont see til teh last minute..
mind you all that power can get you in some tricky situations too.. pro`s and cons,,

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I just put a 12 oz. fww on my KX250. It's like a tractor now. Can't stall the dang thing. There is still a nice hit though. Traction sure is better.

Cylinder porting would be a great idea if you want to spend the money. Otherwise, look into a spacers for the reed cage and exhaust pipe.

rider3302

Mar 8, 2005
add a few teeth in the rear and get a flywheel weight, biggest you can. power reeds help also. always jet your bike for best performance, a jd jetting kit makes it easy but they are about $80 ish. I buy one for every bike I own. Im also strictly woods, and had a 2000 yz.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm riding an 05 YZ 250, aka the 'roid maker. Here's what I've done and will be doing.
First I got the jetting right. Second, the suspension. Third, the gd SEAT. Lastly, a flywheel weight.
I tried a 14/51 and it worked good but when I hit the track, everyone flew by me. I'm back to the stock 14/49 and I ride a gear high. The 05 has lots of power down low and will HIT like a pro boxer when you twist the throttle. I might get a bigger tank but the jury is out on that one.
BTW, I've done the jetting and the suspension. The seat is on the way and I'm looking into the flywheel weight after I pay the proctologist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i have the 2000 yz250, and all i;ve done was mount a detachable kickstand to it and dropped to a 49t rear sprocket. i love that hit some of you hate, if you know throttle control that will be a fun bike for ya. it's nice being in 5th gear, lean back and snap the wrist and wheelie down the road

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
MX86 said:
it's nice being in 5th gear, lean back and snap the wrist and wheelie down the road
No doubt! Ask a few of the Heartland Spodes.:cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom