Sep 15, 2004
Hello I need some good solid advice on a new (to me )mx'er.I currently have an '05 KDX 200 with the following mods:
FMF pipe and silencer(rev pipe}
boyseen reeds
renthal bars
renthal o-ring chain
12/47 sprockets {sunstar)
new Michelin tires m12 rear s 12 front
air stryker carb bored larger from rb designs
air box mod
Stiffer fork springs .40

I think thats it on the mods.I bought this bike new Late in '04 to start riding.Dont get me wrong I absolutley love my kdx!!!I thought i would be doing alot of trail riding, and I have ......until my buddy intoduced me to an mx track.Now thats 90%of my riding time.My kdx does well on the track,jumping and everything(small doubles, tabletops),but I just cant compete with a 250 mx bike.So that is why I am asking opinions.
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am 5' 8" 185pounds without gear
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I am in contruction have been for 15 years so I am in good shape Fairly agressive but do get a little scared of big jumps sometimes
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mx tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience?
about 2 years
5) Do you think you will race ?
maybe a hare scramble on my kdx
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes and yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
My kdx is a two stroke and I love it,but i hear good things on a 4 stroke and love the noise lol :nod:
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
will be used probaly off e-bay
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
depends on the bike about $2000
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I will be keeping my KDX until I die!!! :laugh:

I was thinking of a YZ 250 but I am not sure dont know if a 250 2 stroke is too much bike. :yikes: I hear all kings of horro stories.I am also 34 years .any help is greatly appriciated.Thanks,Chris

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
A 250 has a lot more umph/hit than that KDX. MX bike are meant to be ridden agressivley 2 strokes or 4. as far as jumps, mx bikes just do it better, it will be a monumental difference over the KDX .
You will work your way up to the bigger jumps as you progress....
as for the $$$ for 2000 dollars it sounds to me like you're looking at getting another 2 stroke.

pillager77

Feb 24, 2006
I still mostly do trailriding and switched from a 200 KDX to a KX 250. I love the power of the 250, but can't get too far away from camp. I can almost guarantee if you get a 250, that you will get rid of the KDX in a year or two!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
For your price range I'd vote for a 250 two-stroke. If you take it easy at first you should be fine with more power. Any four-stroke (besides XRs) in your price range is probably ready to explode, so I'd avoid them.

Sep 15, 2004
I kind of figured that a four stroke was out of my range.I like the 2 strokes anyway.I was thinking of a yz 250 year 2000 and up.I have heard that the yz,s front end likes to get up in the air when you jump though.Maybe a kx 250.Which one do you all think?Is one year better than the other?Also I never bought a used bike.What do you look out for?thanks again

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I went from a KDX200 2005 with all the mods you have except the Carb mod to a KX250 2006. The best move ever, load of power and awesome suspension. I do mainly trail riding, but I have taken the bike out on the MX tack a couple of time and that suspension saved my bacon a few time where the KDX would have dumped me. I also have 2 years of riding experience, weigh 205lbs without kit and am 28 years old.

You won't have to spend a cent on a new KX to make it better, just ride and enjoy. I have done a couple things to my KX to make it more trail friendly, long range tank, bark busters, skid plate, exhaust guard and the latest thing is a 11oz Flywheel which I will be trying out tomorrow, before my first enduro race on Saturday.

You won't be giving up anything to a 4-stroke, and the 2-strokes are easier to maintain. The only other bike I would recommend is a YZ250.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I sold my KDX200 when I bought the KX250 and I am not sorry I did. The KX has really bit power, but once you come to grips with it, it is a pleasure to ride. The Flywheel weight does help matters. This is my setup on my KX for off road/enduro use:

IMS Long Range Tank, O-Ring Chain, Bark Busters, Hyde Bash Plate & Exhaust Guard, Fly Wheel Weight (300g – 11oz), Twin Air Filter, Rethal bars(Standard), Jetting: Main Jet 155, Pilot Jet 45, needle in the 2nd clip form the top,air screw 2 turns out (Standard 160/48, needle in 2nd clip and air screw 1 ½ turns out), Sprockets:13/48 (Standard 13/51), Suspension: Forks: Compression 11 clicks out, Rebound 18 – 16 clicks out (Standard comp.11, rebound 11), Shock: HS Comp. 1.25 turns, Comp. 12 clicks, Rebound 10 clicks out, sag 100mm (Standard setup), Front Tire: Dunlop 755 (standard soft), next tire Metzler MC4 (soft) Rear: Metzler MC5 (Intermediate), Standard was a Dunlop 755 (soft).

This was my setup on my KDX200:

Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Hyde Skid Plate, Armadillo Exhaust Guard, Bridgestone M402 rear and Kenda Millville front Tire, Sprockets 13/47 (standard), O-Ring chain, Kawasaki OEM .37kg/mm Fork Springs, Sag set to 90mm on the standard rear shock, FMF Gnarly Pipe, Powercore 2 Silencer, Boyesen Reed Petals, Twin Air Filter, Modified Air Box Lid, Jetting 160/48 (standard), Flywheel Weight 18% to come (approximately 220g), Black MX Front and Rear Fenders, plus a number board, Frame Guards and aftermarket plastics all round, Homemade Guards for the forks and the swingarm (I love the rocks - black 5mm irrigation piping)
FX Gripper Seat Cover (FX07-21132).

KX Rules!!!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
yankeefan4life72, I can comment on price, but I love my KX and it just seems to get better and better, it has definately helped raise my riding to another level.

Jan 10, 2006
yankeefan4life72 said:
I kind of figured that a four stroke was out of my range.I like the 2 strokes anyway.I was thinking of a yz 250 year 2000 and up.I have heard that the yz,s front end likes to get up in the air when you jump though.Maybe a kx 250.Which one do you all think?Is one year better than the other?Also I never bought a used bike.What do you look out for?thanks again

Used bike is easy. I check the front forks for rebound and no oil dripping. Clean bike can help you decide if the guy takes care of his stuff. Ask about the last top end rebuild (when and what was done). Check chain and sprocket for wear. How much tire wear is left. What oils are used (case and mix). Check the air filter.

I like to find the guy that gives you a bunch of care products. Not because it is free but if he has good chain lube and filter oil and extra plugs.....it helps me feel if he paid for it he used it.

Also know that the things listed in the 1st para will all cost you about $100. New tire $100, worn chain and sprocket $100, shop rebuilding forks, $100. That is why I check all that stuff. Talk the guy down with this info if you can.

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the help i bought a 2002 cr250r the other day and i love it.What a difference!!!You are right I will be selling my 2005 kdx 200.The bike looks almost new.I ended up paying $2500.Thanks again.

Top Bottom