Working through an injury?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I have recently begun getting myself back in shape, and have made some hard-fought improvements in my wind and muscle tone (and weight, though to a lesser degree). But yesterday I pulled a muscle in my groin by hyper-stretching the leg when I spun out in the sand. I rested two hours, then continued to ride the whole day, and it's a bit sore today.

My question is, should I just rest until the thing stops hurting, and risk losing my hard-won conditioning, or do I work through it? I don't think that I actually tore anything; it doesn't hurt that badly. I think it's just a pulled muscle or ligament. What's the right thing to do?

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
i think you need to figure out whether you're HURT or INJURED. if you're hurt, keep going. if you're injured, take a break or go to the doc.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I guess I was just hurt, not injured. I went ahead and did a mild aerobic workout, and stretched the leg real well, It felt better, though it's still sore.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Ice, Ice, Ice - for 10 minutes or so as often as you can for the first 48 hours. Once the swelling/inflammation is gone try heat then ice as often as you can.

As long as you aren't in pain, use it. If it is painful then you need to stop. Stretching is good but don't over do it on the sore muscles.

At least that is what has usually worked for me. :)

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
"...continued to ride the whole day, and it's a bit sore today."

i have the same condition when i ride, but i'm a bit sore from head to toe, not just in the grion area.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, Michigan, I'm hip. An old crop-duster friend of my father's used to have a lot of funny little sayings, and one of them pretty well describes me after a day's riding: "It hurts all over more than anyplace else."

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…