LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Hey i was wondering... a Professional rider is comming up to the track i ride at for two days, 8 hours a day... It cost $300
and i was wondering if it would be worth it... riding 8 hours straight two days :yikes: and what could he possibly be teaching for 16 hours... I am not sure what he would be teaching that i dont already know for $300 and do you think it would be worth it? What do u think he will be possibly teaching? :think: :think:

PS: He rides KTM but is now retired

:ride: :ride:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Your bike will incapable of taking advantage of the things he is teaching. And there is ALOT more to going fast than twisting the grip. :think:

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Your bike will incapable of taking advantage of the things he is teaching. And there is ALOT more to going fast than twisting the grip. :think:

It is mainly for kids up there... but by then i might even have a 250f :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
going to one of those schools with a local pro is good for almost anyone. My kid doesn't race, but a pro came in to show the kids some tricks and there is no doubt it helped make Pred2 a better rider.

But this one was free. You gotta decide whether it's worth 300 bones to make you a better rider.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You bet, so you have a lot of room for improvement! Believe me, get all the help you can afford.

Ok... but do you think he is going to, not exactly "force" but whatever to jump stuff i am not ready for :whoa: I jump the smaller doubles but there are some bigger ones i am not ready to jump i dont think and i dont want to be forced to :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Jumps are not the biggest obstacle on the track. Corners are! Without corner speed, you will never jump big. Confidence will be acquired one of 2 ways, lots of practice or someone telling/showing you how. 300 dollars could get you, local pro ability prices. Well above what your ability sounds.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I once scheduled a 2 hour class with a local pro in GA, the first hour was spent on starts. Once my boy showed consistent proper technique, they moved on to corners. Was it worth it, yes. Even James Stewart has people telling him when he's doing something wrong, and helping him to improve his technique.

If it's a small class, and the guy is a competent instructor (not all riders can teach), the yes, I would say that it's worth the money.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
A good instructor will never force someone to do what they are not capable of. Instead he will give advice and goals to work towards. Corners are far more important for speed then any jumps. Passing technique and starts are also important. Of all the classes my son attended I really do not remember any having jumping as a focus other than to make sure the rider was properly positioned on the bike and approaching the jump correctly.
Unless it is a private lesson chances are there will be beginners as well as advanced riders so the class has to cater to the middle riders level.
The instructor (and you) should not expect after one class you are going to be an all new super fast racer but instead will give techniques you have to practice afterwards and perfect

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I learned something from every calls I have taken. Then again I was wanting to learn and didn't have any misconceptions about my ability. Two of the best classes I ever took were trials riding classes one taught by Ray Peters who was ranked #3 at the time and the other by Gary Jackson who was my friend as well as Ray's minder for a few years. Gary really worked on the techniques with me and pushed me a little, it helped a lot! Ray pushed me to my limits and a bit beyond but it made me a better rider and more confident in what I could do.

I had some friends that took a MX/offroad course from Ray as well and they were all amazed at how much faster they became by applying the trials techniques to MX/offroad riding.

In the end it's worth $300 only if you plan to learn and maybe get a little uncomfortable.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
oldguy said:
A good instructor will never force someone to do what they are not capable of. Instead he will give advice and goals to work towards. Corners are far more important for speed then any jumps. Passing technique and starts are also important. Of all the classes my son attended I really do not remember any having jumping as a focus other than to make sure the rider was properly positioned on the bike and approaching the jump correctly.
Unless it is a private lesson chances are there will be beginners as well as advanced riders so the class has to cater to the middle riders level.
The instructor (and you) should not expect after one class you are going to be an all new super fast racer but instead will give techniques you have to practice afterwards and perfect

It is a private lesson... I ride at a private track and they hired him to come up

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Generally a private lesson indicates it's you and them and nobody else. If that is the case then you can specify what you want to learn or you can have them determine what you need to work on. If it is a group lesson at a private facility then it will be geared towards the middle of the class as mentioned. $300 for 2 days at 8 hours for 1 on 1 is insanely cheap.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Patman said:
Generally a private lesson indicates it's you and them and nobody else. If that is the case then you can specify what you want to learn or you can have them determine what you need to work on. If it is a group lesson at a private facility then it will be geared towards the middle of the class as mentioned. $300 for 2 days at 8 hours for 1 on 1 is insanely cheap.

All i know right now is that there are alot of little kids on 50's and stuff going up... but i am sure some of the adults are going up but at the most id say 20-30 people will be there, but probably not even that.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
LEllis7motox said:
All i know right now is that there are alot of little kids on 50's and stuff going up... but i am sure some of the adults are going up but at the most id say 20-30 people will be there, but probably not even that.
That is NOT a private lesson even if it is held in your bedroom. A 'private' lesson is you and the instructor- nobody else to distract him
Whenever Spider went to a school we set it up so that the class consisted of the same kids he raced against week after week. That way they were all generally the same level and the instructor was not handling 50s and A level at the same time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LEllis7motox said:
All i know right now is that there are alot of little kids on 50's and stuff going up...
Well as long as nobody else shows up you'll be the fastest.... maybe. :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
oldguy said:
That is NOT a private lesson even if it is held in your bedroom. A 'private' lesson is you and the instructor- nobody else to distract him
Whenever Spider went to a school we set it up so that the class consisted of the same kids he raced against week after week. That way they were all generally the same level and the instructor was not handling 50s and A level at the same time.
Good point. If it's all 50s then most of the time would be wasted for an older more experienced rider. I wouldn't spend 300 bucks to ride with a bunch of 50s, even though I may have a chance at crossing the finish line first. :laugh:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Here is a crazy idea. Call the people putting on the clinic and ask what skill level the classes will be for and what will be covered.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom