sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
Hi peeps, my name is Shane from the UK & I have just bought an '02 KDX220. It was std, running on a 42 pilot & a 145 main. I have recently fitted a set of Boyesen reeds, airbox snorkel removed, Gnarly Rev pipe & Powercore 2 Tail pipe, still with the above jets. I gave it a little run out, about 5 miles, but there seemed to be an aweful lot of splooge coming out the pipe, more than b4.
My question is, having never messed with jetting b4 on a 2st is, when u do a WOT run, reading the site it says accelerate upto 4th/5th gear then hold it open for 20-30 seconds. Does this mean on the limiter, or once in 4th/5th, back off & run at full throttle while accelerating. I only say this as I have always owned road bikes, & have had jetting done b4, but from say 4k in 4th/5th accelerating up to the redline, then kill the engine from there.
Thanks gang, & cheers for a good ole website/forum

Happy KDX'ing

Shane, (UK)

sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
Hellooooo oooouuttttt thheeeeeere

Can anyone give me any tips on this, or is it cos i is from Engelaaand

Cheers mateys

Shane

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I have those same mods, and once my bike is broken in, I will put them on. Except mine is a PC pipe, with the FMF silencer, removed snorkel with some holes int he airbox cover, Boyesen Pro series reeds, what is a good starting point for jetting? (someone told me to buy a 150, 152, and a 155 main, and a 42, and 45 pilot, with a stock needle.) Think I can get it jetted with these jets, and some help as to show me how to do it? :think: hmmmm

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
I had those same mod's before I added the RB Design's carb. I never could find enough real estate to keep the throttle pinned in 4th gear for 20 seconds. I would find the longest straight-away and run it through the gears, staying on the pipe hard. Then spin around quickly and do this four or five times then chop it. It worked. It told me I was still too rich. I ended up with a 40 pilot and 142 main but each bike is different.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Yes WOT means Wide Open Throttle!

I would find the longest straight-away and run it through the gears, staying on the pipe hard. Then spin around quickly and do this four or five times then chop it.

:think: Huh?

Here read this from TECH TIPS: Checking the Main Jet– Warm up the engine and go for a short ride letting the engine comes up to its normal operating temperature. Install a brand new plug that's been properly gapped. With the new plug installed aggressively accelerate through the gears until you reach 4th or 5th gear. For best results you should accelerate up a slight up hill section to place additional load on the engine. Continue to run the engine at WOT for 20 to 30 seconds longer if there is not fear the engine is running lean. If you suspect the engine is running lean 15 to 20 seconds to give you an indication. At the end of your full throttle run simultaneously push the kill button, chop the throttle and pull in the clutch. This procedure is often refereed to as a " plug chop". It is important to perform a plug chop exactly as described. If you allow the engine to run or leave the throttle open for even a few seconds after the plug chop the plug reading will be invalid. Now remove the spark plug and carefully look at its color.

BTW, I've never been able to do a 20-30 sec plug chop, but I've done plenty in the 6-10 second range. I can still get a decent read, it's just not as dark a ring.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ride it on the beach! (in the sand) You can run WOT in 6th for-about-ever. (then you can get a tow back to the rig when you port your piston...)

Anyway...
There is not a limiter on the US model. The kinda flat 'top' on the 220 is caused by intake restriction, port timing and such. No bike revs forever anyway. You may regard the slightly less than stellar upper band of the 220 to be a 'limiter', but it's not.

You can drag the brake a bit to create some drag if you have no riding terrain that will provide it. Probably the back brake (not the front), 'eh?

re: 'I have the same mods but they're not on but they're different'

Really?

I posted to this thread hoping only to once again be reckoned along with such effluvium and considered helpful.

YeeHAw!

There used to be a thread that had excellent pics of a properly jetted bike plug. Unfortunately, the 'upgrade' to the new look rendered them lost.

Most unfortunate.

Here's a tip, though...the color of the plug isn't the issue. You know that, right? What you're after is a ring similar to the one shown (hey! Where'd this come from? ;) )

Your looking for a such a ring to be approx 1mm thick. The thicker, the richer. The darkness of the ring will change with the time run.

Attachments

• AF mixture ring.jpg
    AF mixture ring.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom