would like to hear from husqvarna riders

roadx

Uhhh...
Feb 14, 2002
i have never own a husqvarna before but have my heart set on the husqvarna TE450 when they come out.
can you tell me about your husky experience’s with your bike good or bad? would you get another husky? i basically want to know how they hold up and get some reasurances before i buy it.
thanks

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
Just to let you know I have no experience with Husky's. Therefore I have no opinion on these bikes. My question is why do you have your heart set on one? With all the choices out there why a Husky?
There's a Husky dealer near where I live and I've stopped in before. I didn't notice anything special about them except for the fact that they have a CR line the same as Honda!

Just wondering
Larry

Last edited:

roadx

Uhhh...
Feb 14, 2002
reason why

good point, but the reason is because i want a 4 stroke and it has to be green stickered so i can get plates for it in california and the bike weights 237lbs, has all the goodies on it. i was looking at the suzi drz 400 but it weights way to much, 291 lbs. for a 4 stroke 450cc watercooled bike @ 237 pounds is awesome.
:eek:

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I'm also planning on a TE450. Why? I have ridden quite a few of the alternatives, KTM's, various jap 01 and 02 mx 125's and 250's, and some Yamaha and Honda 4 strokes. All of them had their pros and cons. I have also ridden various 00-01 huskys and generally prefer them. I'm looking to go e-start 4 stroke, need a new bike, and could use a big slab of bottom end power. The TE450 looks on paper to the perfect bike. I also have a good local dealer. The only thinkg I'm a bit leery of is being a new model guinea pig :).

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I see, all sound like good reasons to me. Just being on more of the MX side you never see Husky's. I figrue they have their niche but I never knew what that was. 237 pounds is lite!

Happy trails
LArry

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have an MX Husky but I don't race, just ride. I do practice on MX tracks just for fun and have found that coming out of corners, with a little clutch slip, I can beat most other 125s from corner to corner on flat ground. The bike has plenty of power. Of course I can't jump for beans and only corner fair, so that is the only time I beat anyone, but that is my fault not the bikes. I beleive my Husky is the most dependable and best built bike I have ever had. even better than my old KTM. But I did like the suspension and handling better on the KTM.
Most MX racers buy what their favorite riders have or what through advertising, magazines and friends tell them is the best. Seeing they don't advertise much and magazine almost never test Huskys hardly anyone has them. So with out riding one it is hard to compare.

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
I owned a 2000 wr360 and really enjoyed it. I would not hesitate to score another Husky especially the new 450. In fact if they were more available I would like to give one a try. The only gripe I had was it took forever to sell but can't imagine that being the case with a four stroke.

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Do the old one's count?????

We've got a 1980 WR250 that's great for everything but moto. In 15(possible more)years it's never needed anythng more than fuel and fresh trasn oil. Ok you got me it does need one fork seal ane it's got new shocks. A friend of my dad's has a TE400 i think and he likes it. As far as I'm concerned they're great and wol buy one if I could afford it.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I have a 99 WR250 I bought new. Been a great bike. Dealer support is the big thing. My local dealer SUCKED. Get a lot of parts from summit cycle. Oem parts are no problem. Some of the aftermarket parts are hard to get but are getting better. I'm waiting for the new 4-strokes to come out. Prolly wait until this fall to buy. I will buy another Husky .

Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
I've never had any problems with my 1992 wxc 610. The overall quality has been great and the bike has required no more than a few fork seals, some oil changes, and valve adjustment. Just be sure to find a good dealer to work with. When I called my local dealer who advertises "Large parts inventory" trying to buy a new gas cap (plastic breaks when it hits large rocks...oops) they told me that the only way to get one would be to fly to Italy and break into the factory. I then called a dealer in a town thirty miles away and got my gas cap in four days.

Good luck

va racer

Feb 8, 2002
good stuff

I made the switch from a KTM 200 to a 02 Husky WR 250. I couldnt be happier with the bike, but Huskys customer service kinda stinks. Ive had my bike for a month now and Husky hasnt even printed an owners manual for it. Quality of the bike is second to none. Personally I like the suspension better than my 99 KTM 200 and it handles great. It seems like Husky puts alot of thought into their bikes. I have been very impressed with the bike itself.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The Husky manuel is really a pain. I wish they would print and english version. The one I have has like 4 differant languages.

Last edited:

husq555

Oct 24, 2001
I have a '01 CR125 and it is AWESOME. It is well thought out, has loads of power delivered very tractably, and has needed nothing more than a few oil changes and a spark plug or two in the year I've had it. When I get around to selling it (haven't tried yet!), I'll immediately replace it with an '02 CR125. Everyone I've let ride it on the MX track has come back very impressed. BTW, Husky had CR motorcrossers back when Honda was only building mopeds.

The knock that I've heard people say about them is "Oh, I heard there's no 'hit'--they MUST be slow," but in reality you just don't realize how fast you're really going because the power comes on in such a linear fashion. All the power is getting to the ground and moving you forwards instead of spinning the tire or constantly lifting the front end skyward.

Take a look at the components and the quality of the bikes, and you'll realize that they should probably be priced for more than they are. (Look at the parts on a KTM, Gas Gas, VOR, etc. and see what they charge--same stuff on a Husky!) I saw another poster somewhere saying that with Husky you get KTM quality for Suzuki prices. That's pretty much accurate!

A good local dealer is certainly a plus, but since they generally don't break and there's some good mail-order options for parts out there I don't think that having a good local dealer is 100% crucial. An bike is a bike, and although there are some minor differences between various brands, they all work basically the same way. Any competent mechanic should be able to figure it out.

Speaking of working on them--they're easy! The seat comes off with one dzus fastener to get at the Twin Air filter. Once the seat is off, the tank then comes off with one bolt, and the whole rear subframe/airbox/tail with 3 more bolts. Stripping the thing down the frame literally takes about 5 minutes. There's plenty of room under the tank to change a spark plug without removing the tank too. There are grease fittings on the shock linkage are another nice touch--forget disassembling your linkage to lube it!

You probably don't see/hear too much about them because they're the new kid on the block in the US, and had a rocky past here when they were here before. Over in Europe, Husky's won the 125 world MX title back to back a year or two ago, consistently do well in 500 MX, and dominate world enduro competition. Also, don't forget, Husky was the first non-Japanese bike to win an AMA 125 SX main.

Also take a look through any MX magazine these days--count up the pages of advertising from each manufacturer and it pretty much exactly correlates to the finishing position of that brand in any shootout tests. It's clear that more ad money=better tests. It's sickening. It doesn't surprise me you don't see more manufacturers taking part in the shootouts, unless I was spending big $$$ with that mag, I wouldn't either!

cetris

May 8, 2001
But Can You Get Parts???

I had a '90 510 and really liked it. Super motor, but sorta quirky handling...it would go like h*ll in a straight line, but didn't turn too well. I have read that they have massaged some of the handling traits and the newer ones turn better.

One major problem though was parts availability. My ignition system failed and I had to order a new coil/flywheel assembly. Cost was about $300 (probably not too high), but it took close to two months to get it. The whole time I was waiting, my dealer never was able to confirm if the parts were ever really going to arrive. "They are on their way over here, but they still have to work their way through customs, etc". I didn't know until the day they arrived whether or not they were anywhere near the east coast of USA, still getting out of a dock in Italy, or what. It sucked....I was literally contemplating buying a new bike so I could start riding again when the parts finally got here. I don't think it was my dealer's fault, I think it was the parent company Cagiva. Somebody else I think is handling the USA distributorship now, maybe it has improved, maybe not....I don't know.

I know a dealer in South Carolina that does Husaberg, KTM, Suzuki, Ducati and a couple others. He used to do Husky's too, but dropped them a few years ago when he was unable to get simple stuff like clutch cables for his customers. To this day he refuses to deal with Husky again because of the way he (and his customers) got screwed due to the parts availibility issue. I'd like to have one of the new 450's too, but I would be very scared to do it unless someone could convince they have remedied this problem.

Good luck.

RTKLR1

Apr 23, 2000
after owning and racing a 1993 and 1994 husky 360 and a 1998 610 I have nothing but good to say about them.I put lots of miles on them in the woods in washington and have never had a breakdown.After owning suzukis,hondas,atk's,yamahas, I wondered how easy it was to get parts,well other than normal stuff like cahins sprockets,brake pads and rings I havent really needed anything for them, I think they are very reliable and would love to try the new 250 and 450 strokers.

husq555

Oct 24, 2001
Re: But Can You Get Parts???

I talked to a bunch of people including reps from Cagiva USA (the US importer since '98) about the parts situation before I bought mine because everyone was like "oh, husky, great bike but you can't get parts for it. " Believe me, they are painfully aware of what happened with the brand in the past because of parts and are doing everything they can do to make sure it's a non-issue. I've talked to some current Husky dealers that also sell KTMs, and they've pretty much all said that Husky's parts supply on current bikes is actually better than KTMs has been for at least the last 2 years.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I've heard the same as husq555- that they're suffering from an old reputation. Personally I'd like to give 'em a try, but I fell in love with endoqwest's kTm 520 & think that's what I'll be buying next winter. I grew up idolizing my uncle, and he raced huskies. One day I'll have to own one, just because.

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
I think the reputaion for poor part availability is an issue which is no longer justified.There may have been a problem in 1995-1997 when Cagiva was in financial trouble but this is no longer the case.I get parts delivered next day delivery in the the UK with 95% availability.Parts not in stock is normally delivered within 10 days.The Importer get shippments every week.
Husqvarna make quality & competitive bikes.I have owned 5 in total & if funds would allow I would have a deposit on a new TC450!!

roadx

Uhhh...
Feb 14, 2002
thanks! guys/gals keep'm coming

would like to say thanks for all the replys so far great stuff (i guess it's what i want to hear) but dont stop!, if you have an opinion i would like to hear it good or bad.
im just bidding my time till it gets here.
anyone have any web sites to after market parts?
i know the bike doesnt need much, but thinking of a skid plate for the first purchase item.
thanks again any other husky riders out there???

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
I had a 99 WR 125. I bought it new in Feb 2000. A dealer in Indiana bought over a 100 for a super low price and was selling them for 3800. I figured at that price why not?

The quality of the components and the craftsmanship was what sold me. I mean one look and you knew these guys knew what they were doing. I had no mechanical problems with the bike. It just ran great (after jetting). The suspension was awesome, and the motor was great (especially for woods). Also, the bike handled great.

But the parts availability caused me to get rid of it. I had to fabricate a rear fender because it took 7 weeks to get one. I heard other horror stories about backordered clutch levers, fenders, etc. When my local Husky dealer dropped Husky because of difficulty getting parts & bikes, I sold mine and got a KTM.

I hope Ferracci (the US importer) gets their act together, because they really are great bikes. But I can't tolerate not being able to get a part and missing a ride.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
As far as the parts availability goes I think that is strictly the dealer as is the case with the other brand of bikes.

Performance wise, my stepson has won the Iowa District 22 “AA” hare-scramble class overall the last two years on Husky’s. They run good and are very reliable.

I’d consider buying one IF they made a 200 somewhat like my KTM 200. I can’t figure out why they don’t. It’s not like they wouldn’t sell.

MODR

Nov 13, 2001
This is my first year on a Husky (02 CR 250). I have had the bike since Thanksgiving and have been very pleased and have had great dealer support from Summit Cycles. Check out their web site at summitcycles.com.

Top Bottom