WP PDS shims fit Ohlins PDS shock?

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
Does anyone know if the Ohlins PDS shock for KTM's uses the same size shims as a WP PDS shock? I had the WP shock on my 520 mxc literally blow apart at Washougal Sunday.The cast top blew into several pieces and the shock body was mashed -in onthe threads. The seal,shaft , and pistons looked fine though. It seems the only shock available in the U.S. is an Ohlins.my concern is whether I can re-valve the Ohlins to match my WP with the shims I have, or if I have to track down different shims to fit a different shaft or body diameter.
Looks like I'll be riding my 200 for awhile!

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus Scoott,

I had my Öhlins PDS revalved and the guy had the shims in his 'collection' - nothing special, I think they are even standard Öhlins shock shims. IMHO the Öhlins PDS is a great shock, but a bit pricey. Maybe you can find a 2000 model (like I have) which is quite different from the 2001 for a better price.

Also I found the Öhlins PDS to work better with a soft spring and more preload, but this is a question of personal setup.

As an alternative you could go with an SXS shock from KTM/WP - better quality than stock, but I have no first hand experiences. Jeremy might be able to help here.

Michael

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
The SXS shock would be acceptable, but the dealer searching for a shock said that there were no PDS shocks available to him in the U.S. He said they were all sold out and on backorder for as late as December. The Ohlins sounded good at that point.
I've had good luck with Ohlins in the past, my only concern was shim availability and if my PDS shims would fit.
I actually go the opposite direction in spring rates. I weigh 220,promote and ride on 3 different Grand Prix ( giant MX) tracks, ride some MX, and love the desert. Stiff springs with light preload, soft compression damping and lots of rebound works well for me.My 520 has .44's in front and a 9.8 in the back. My 200 has .45's and a 9.2. Both rear springs give me 100mm of laden with around 25-30mm of unladen sag. The ride is cushy, yet firm. My Gp tracks vary from a desert-like 10 mile course with rocks and highspeed chop to a 6 mile course that has g-outs,up and downhill jumps, natural mogul sections,some choppy sections, and more g-outs. The third course is a giant natural MX track, with big hills and some tight, rocky patches on the GP portion.Finding a system that works on all of courses is a challenge. No one setting will work for all three, and I'm just getting close to a set-up that will work with major clicker adjustmentbetween the courses
My goal on set-up is try to make the bike plush while maintaining good bottoming resistance.I've found that I regulate my speed by how much bottoming resistance I have. The easier the bike bottoms, the slower I go to prevent that.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Scoot,
I don't have the answer right now, but I should in a day or so. I've ordered an Ohlins shock for my 125sx and will be working on it soon enough. If you are interested in the SXS stuff you could try White Brothers as I see them advertising in the back of Cycle News that they have The SXS suspension. Have you looked into getting the shock covered under warranty? I don't know much about the situation, but it's worth exploring before you part with $1100-1500 for a different item! Last year a freind of mine had a very similar problem with his '00 380 exc and his dealer got it covered by KTM. Heck they even covered damaged items that were caused by the crash (subframe, fender, etc)!!

Jesper

Feb 26, 2001
Scoot,
nothing wrong in riding the 200, is it?

My PDS is at local suspension shop right now and the guy told me that he would probably use Öhlins shims as the WP shims had been back ordered for a long time. I think he said that the latest Öhlins PDS used shims with 16mm inner diameter. This is second hand information, but just check it with a Öhlins dealer.

Regards,
Jesper

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
Bud-man: I've talked with my dealer about a warranty claim, but at this point i'm more concerned with getting a shock so as to not wait for KTM to decide.

Jesper: No, there is nothing wrong with the 200. It's the second best bike I've rode. Problem is the 520 is the best and I have not rode the 200 in 3 or 4 months, and no urge to do so.I should sell the 200 but I can't seem to part with it .I'm more likely to rob the shock off the 200, change springs, and put it on the 520 and go..........Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
PAT,
You can use a diegrinder and grind the Id.... That takes alot of pateince.. Do you have the punching tool your talking about? While I find manufacturing them the only option, in a bind it sounds cool..

Regards,
Jer

Last edited:

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
I made one up a month or so ago.

It is just a shim punch for a 16mm hole with a 12mm pilot made on the end of it to center the shim.

The punch can be spun down in a spin jig on a surface grinder to make the pilot on it.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Jer
I know it's your site & all but one time I offered to help one of your readers that needed to buy an older shock pretty badly & my post was pulled immediatly and an e-mail sent to me informing me that this couldn't be done. I really was ok about this but who all does this apply to? Just wondering.

doc

Top Bottom