russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Hi every one! any one of you guys that deal in WP no where I might get my hands on a 2001 300 EXC shock shaft with clevis. I found all kind of metal between the comp and reb valving.(guy was complaining there was no compression Know wonder) I woundered where it came from so me not being to familiar with WP I called John Curea from MX-Tech I never new this guy but have seen him at the Gncc alot ,just never talked with him. the guy was really great! well to make a long story short I talk with him about what i found. told him where it looked like it came from to me.He ask if I could bring it over because he was courious of what had happened also . Heres what the analisys was Piston bands on both pistons were bad allowing the shaft not to align with the shock body needle causinig it to hit the side of the inner shaft and break or chip. I guess basically there is a message here for you guys running the Wp's get your stuff serviced so these guys can check that kind of suff out . well enough rambling. Beside looking for a shaft and clevis I just thought it might be some good info!

Russ17

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The WP shock needs a 50mm tube to align the 2 pistons-if not you get problems-50mm tube is hard to get so alot of people dont bother.All rider thinking of getting suspension serviced should ask your suspension tuner questions and see what kind of answers they give-evasive non commital answers should be met with caution.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Russ,

The man you spoke with, John Curea, can get all the WP parts you're looking for. He's an MX-TECH associate, and MX-TECH is a WP Suspension distributor.

Also, the 50mm tube to align the pistons (and seal head), is not hard to find if you know where to look. Again, seek MX-TECH.

P.S. No, I'm not SPAMMING - I just happen to know that MXT is a WP Distributor. If you don't like this answer, you can always see your local KTM dealer.

:yeehaw:

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a dolt, what do you mean you need a 50mm tube to align the pistons? Inquiring minds want to know.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The PDS has 2 pistons instead of one, there is a small amount of movement on the pistons when you tightern them down-if you dont slip a 50mm tube over both of them, one will be over to one side.When this happens the psiton rubs hard against the shock body.This results in a minimum of extra stiction and wear.

TreeKiller

Oct 25, 2001
I sure hope so, Jer. I did finally get my shock back from KTM after almost 3 months. I also appreciate the help that you and Chad gave me. I think if we went into the PDS shaft and clevis manufactoring business we could all retire.

To possibally help answer the original question. Jeremy, please correct me if I'm wrong (i.e. just smack me a couple times :) ). I don't think WP/KTM will sell the shaft and clevis. I had a similar issue and had to send the shock back to KTM for repair.

Last edited:

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Hm, I didn't know that. How then do you keep the spacer between the pistons from spinning, to keep the holes lined up. I've had to stick a punch in there to keep it set. Or is that not a big deal since there is a bevel underneith? It hasn't always spun on me, but sometimes it has.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Honda65

The sleeve has an access slot in the 50mm tool to enable proper spacer hole/shaft alignment with the method you mentioned.

WP has some really trick tooling, if ya dont mind waiting for the bamboo boat..... :)

John

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Tree killer WP sell the assembly but i dont think KTM do.I had to wait months for KTM to decide if they would warranty mine-they decided it wasnt a warranty fault?Bloody expensive it was:(

TreeKiller

Oct 25, 2001
Same problem here. I told them that I'd be happy to pay for it. Then they told me they didn't have the part and that they were waiting for WP to manufactor some spares. They actually did pay for it (~$290) which is commendable, but the time I lost with my bike was more important to me. This is the second KTM I've owned and have really liked the machines, but I rode a new Honda the other day and now I've got the jones. Too bad, I don't have the $$$ :) Gotta, get my wife outta college, soon. Maybe, in a year and a half, when she's finished, she'll realize she owes daddy a new scoot. :) (it's my dream don't ruin it!)

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
That makes sense. Maybe White Bros will have it.(Yea right) Or, maybe Jeremy will have it, since he is WP Distributer.

Thanks for the info.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom