fgsacts

Dec 2, 2001
Am finally considering moving from a two stroke to a four. Looking at the WR250 and YZ250F. I ride mostly trails/woods. Do not race. Is their a power difference between the two bikes are the engines tuned exactly the same. I currently ride a YZ250 two stroke. Want as much power as possible but the lighter weight of the 250 four vs. the 450. If I bought the 250F I would end up putting a larger tank, forestry approved muffler, and kick stande on it. Why not just go with the WR? My only concern is that the WR has less raw power. Can anyone tell me for sure if there is a power difference between the two. Thanks.

fgsacts

Dec 2, 2001
'03 WR250 vs. YZ250F

Can any tell me if there is a difference in horsepower between the '03 WR250 and the YZ250F or is the motor exactly the same. Thanks.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
The answer is (waiver: these are from first hand experience on the '01 models - the '03 models may vary from this - someone please correct if this is the case):

If on the WR you cut or open-circuit the grey wire from the ignition box, retard the exhaust cam one tooth, remove the airbox lid, install a YZF muffler or other responsibly quiet straight thru system and rejet in accordance with YZ250F guidelines, the power output should be on a par with the YZ250F. Optionally, a WR owner may wish to "de-octopus" the WR carb (search some reputable boards for some well written instructions on this procedure) to make it the same as a YZ.

The engines, apart from the changes listed above and the presence of a heavier flywheel and a wide ratio box, are pretty much the same.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
fgsacts -

while the YZF250 is a great bike and very versatile, the difference in power from a 2 stke YZ250 is considerable. you might be what doctors call "dissapointed" with the YZF power.

here is my idea. you said you don't want the extra weight of the bigger 4 strkes. well i couldn't find the numbers for the YAM but for honda the CRF 450 weighs only 11 lbs more than the CR250 - 213/223 respectively. i'm sure these numbers are analogous to yamaha as well, meaning that the YZF's are slightly heavier than the YZ's. so i was thinking that why not just live with the extra 11 lbs? for the extra 11 lbs you get gobbs of tractable power (even more than the YZ250), you never have to mix gas again, and so forth. also, your local YAM dealer may have a left over 02 426 that is selling for $1200 less than the 03 450, just like my local dealer.

just go take a look at them. lift a few off their kick-stands. you will be surprised how light they are.

jeremiah

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
beer-stud might not be a stud, but he's right about the 250F's somewhat lack of power. if i was you, i would seriously consider taking one for a good ride out in the open to make sure you are happy with what it produces. If it's good enough in the open,then it will be great in the woods.
but, when you consider they are only a 250 four stroke, they go pretty damn good! test it yourself.

a YZF will always feel a bit quicker because the gearbox ratios are closer. a de-restricted and YZF timed WR goes awesome, and it would be just as fast as a YZF in a straight line (i believe) until 5th gear, then the WR should pull away. if i was you, i would buy the WR, or look real closely at the new 450's. They are all awesome machines, so pick your colour.

oh, and do a search on this topic.

Top Bottom